Meeting successfully opens the Magnum wallet (2042-5)

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Meeting successfully opens the Magnum wallet (2042-5)

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 am

Mr Magnum opens his wallet

There was high-5’s all round amongst my strategy team once Thomas Magnum had left the meeting with the top franchise Front Office staff. I had done a full two-hour presentation for him, outlining the plans we had come up with for resurrecting the franchise.

He sat there silently for a good ten minutes afterwards mulling over my presentation. Eventually he spoke

“I’m pleased that you have been able to come up with this in such a short time at the club and while I note your request does entail me ploughing even more money into the franchise, I’m pleased that it is for specific purposes, not just “I wish to get better players”.
I’m encouraged by the real progress you have made already, getting the payroll down to the discussed $65 million mark I proposed at your first interview. Looking at the pitching staff now I can see that perhaps that level is a bit unrealistic at this stage. I can see we need to bolster the rotation to even reach last year’s tally of wins, but again I was pleased that you’re not proposing to dash out and blow $20 million on one pitcher.
As much as it does pain me, I concur that this is not a quick fix. It’s no point telling you to reach the Landis Finals in three years because it plainly isn’t going to happen. So, this is what I’d like you to do in 2042
• Try to win more than 2041, i.e. Don’t Suck!
• Get a better full-time first baseman, Gallegos was not my idea of someone we should be running out there, nor in all honesty is Whitley Jr
• Go out and find a Hometown Hero. Someone who can really enthuse the fans and keep them coming
• Try and end the 2043 season with $16 million in the profit line
• Use your good plans and build a team capable of getting into the playoffs by 2046

I agree with the positive step of reducing the ticket prices, if we can get the fans in to see your proposed young team, we could be on the way to making a mark in Kansas sports. To aide you along the way, I’m going to give you a $106 million budget which should therefore allow you to run the payroll up to around the $75-76 million mark. And to try and do something about the pitching staff I’m prepared to give you a war chest of $20 million to help you try and pick up one or two pitchers in the free agent market. Thank you for your time gentlemen, and for your candid honesty. I hope we can together really make 2042 stand out in the franchise’s history.”

With that he left. After the initial elation the realisation set in that now we had to actually implement the changes and make them work. We had maybe $10m to spend on our needs, more in the kitty, but if we overspent our resources we would be hurtling towards another loss.
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Meeting successfully opens the Magnum wallet (2042-5)

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:27 am

I hate that realization when you actually have to make your plan work - theoretical plans are so much easier!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”