2041.03 Recruiting a Rookie league manager

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2041.03 Recruiting a Rookie league manager

Post by felipe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 am

The long dirty white cargo van cruises slowly through the avenue of stately homes and slowly rolls to a halt in front of the grandest mansion of them all.

Wichita GM , Genius Hopkins gets out from behind the steering wheel and arches his back on the sidewalk. Assistant GM, Devin Clark nervously gets out of the passenger seat, clutching handcuffs, zip ties, and a couple of rolls of duct tape.

"Put those back Fungo,"the Genius gestures impatiently," Those probably won't be necessary...You got the taser though?"

Clark taps his jacket pocket and nods affirmatively.

The outside lights of the mansion suddenly turn on, illuminating the once dark street.

"Genius!" booms a large muscular black man as he swings open his front door wide," Nice to see you!" He swivels the large shotgun he is holding until it is pointing at Clark," Fungo." he bites off bitterly.

"Leon!" grins the Genius," How I've missed you!"

"Uh huh," says Leon Sandcastle as his eyes never leave Clark.

"We're getting the gang back together," smiles Fungo Clark.

"I heard that there were some changes out there in Wichita," Sandcastle replies," I see you fired your manager."

"That's right," beams the Genius as he begins to mount the large stone staircase leading up to the house," That's why we're here."

"Its mid December Genius,"Sandcastle replies," Couldn't you have called? Baseball season is a long way off." Clark begins to mount the stairs too. "You stay right there Fungo," Sandcastle snarls.

Clark abruptly stops and retreats back down the stairs," We're getting the team back together." he mumbles.

"Yes, well, I thought this deserved the personal touch," grins the Genius.

"So you brought a rape van and Fungo with you? Why would you ever do that? I have an agent that you can call!"

"Nothing like the intimacy of a one on one meeting," grins the Genius as he stops three steps below Sandcastle.

"I've made hundreds of millions of dollars in my career, I live in a house bigger than even in my wildest dreams, I coach my kids' football teams...why would I give up all of that to live in Wichita and manage a second division team?"

The Genius grins," Oh no Leon, you have no experience...you'll be managing Anchorage in the Rookie league."

Sandcastle stares at the Genius uncomprehendingly. "You think I'd want to manage a rookie league team? In Anchorage, Alaska?"

"I can be very persuasive," grins the Genius.

Sandcastle begins to laugh, "Let me guess, you expected that I'd just jump into the van and we'd go off and grab the next member of our coaching team together?"

Fungo nods, "That's it precisely."

Sandcastle shakes his head, "Even if I agreed to such a foolish thing, which I never would by the way, I'd just charter my own private jet in June to Anchorage and bill you the cost. I'd never get into a van with you and drive around on a demented road trip like a bunch of frat boys."

"I was a little afraid you might say that," nods the Genius sadly.

Sandcastle continues obliviously to Fungo creeping up the stairs, "And where is your next planned stop?" Sandcastle laughs.

"First the Dominican and then Montreal," confirms the Genius.

Sandcastle stops laughing and stares at the Genius incredulously," You know the Dominican is an island right? You're not getting your van there!" Sandcastle dissolves into more gales of laughter," Some Genius!"

Sandcastle stops laughing abruptly and levels his shotgun at Clark who has climbed three quarters of the way up the stairs," Get back down there." he commands.

Fungo retreats down the stairs as Sandcastle's wife comes out of the front door of the mansion to join her husband at the top of the stairs. He slips his arm around her shoulders as she asks, "What's going on Leon?"

"These fools think I'm going on a road trip with them to Alaska," he laughs.

"A road trip! When would you be back?" she asks.

The Genius nods at her, "We'd have him back by the end of August ma'am...just in time for football season."

Sandcastle's wife swiftly pulls out her own taser and sends millions of volts into Leon Sandcastle's body. Sandcastle slumps lifelessly to the ground.

The three conspirators stare at each other.

Mrs. Sandcastle breaks the silence first, "He was driving me nuts, hanging around the house all day, I'm always tripping over him, listening to him yell at the TV. He needs to do something important with his time."

"That's why I came when you texted me, honey, " The Genius grins," I"m always willing to help out an old flame."

"Me too," grins Fungo.

"You wish Fungo,"Sandcastle's wife spits out. She turns to the Genius," You make sure to never leave Leon alone with that guy, you hear me?"

"Awww...he's ok, sugar,"grins the Genius.

"Promise me?"

"Sure," resigns the Genius, "I promise."

Genius and Fungo pick up Sandcastle's body and carry it awkwardly to the van. They load up and drive quickly away.

"Call me," whispers Sandcastle's wife sadly as she stares out into the night.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: 2041.03 Recruiting a Rookie league manager

Post by bschr682 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:36 am

:eek:
GM Vancouver Mounties

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: 2041.03 Recruiting a Rookie league manager

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 am

Ha!

RonCo