2040.04 End of the Wichita line(man!) for Whitey?

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2040.04 End of the Wichita line(man!) for Whitey?

Post by felipe » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Has Alvin 'Whitey' Dickinson played his last game as a Wichita Aviator? The club released the original Aviator today at the conclusion of his two year, $6 million per annum deal.

Dickinson was selected in the twelfth round of the 2034 Expansion draft from the Brooklyn Robins. Brooklyn notoriously listed pitchers as hitters and hitters as pitchers in the draft, in an attempt to slide several promising relievers through the draft. Wichita Genius, GM Hopkins, noted it at the time and scoffed at the stupidity of attempting to hide relievers.

"What a moron," scoffed the Genius, "I have a leading center-fielder presented to me, and he's worrying about relievers. I might go kick his ass for being so stupid."

The Genius was familiar with Dickinson, having selected him as the Louisville GM with the 18th overall amateur draft pick in 2029, and then nurturing him to the Big Leagues by September 2031.

After being drafted by Wichita, Dickinson immediately became the face of the franchise, along side other ex-Sluggers like Abe Colbert Jr., and Ed Curry.

Dickinson was named the first ever Wichita All-Star in 2035, as he patrolled the expansion Aviator's center-field while also hitting .825 with a 2.1 WAR.

"Honestly? Dickinson was a wretched center-fielder," guffaws the Genius," But, I really had nothing else. Every fly ball became an adventure. And with our pitching staff, Whitey had a lot of adventures. But what the hell, the fans gravitated to his 'swing at everything' approach to hitting, and charge in on every fly ball, only to immediately turn and run in the other direction...he was very entertaining."

In 2036, Whitey started in centerfield for Wichita before moving to left field when the club became less enamoured with his fielding and as hot hitting rookie center fielder, Pedro Martinez, emerged. Dickinson also was hit by the injury bug in August, cutting his season short.

In 2037, Whitey played all three outfield positions, starting at each one at least twenty times. Perhaps the instability contributed to his statistically worse season in Wichita, registering a crap .740 OPS at season's end.

In 2038, Whitey started 34 games at first base, (after Sparky Anderson fell apart), 67 games in left field, (four other players started at least fourteen games each), 17 games in right field, and seven games in centerfield. Through it all, Dickinson compiled an .863 OPS.

"The guy just does everything we ask him too." grinned the Genius," I even had him fly his sister into Wichita a few times...he's a good guy."

In 2039, Dickinson stayed in left field, and compiled a .807 OPS in 130 games, sitting against left-handers.

In 2040, Dickinson again patrolled left field against right handers, compiling a .795 OPS. Dickinson sat (against his loudly voiced wishes), in September so Wichita could see what they had in the line of succession for him (not much).

The pundits all claim that Whitey has lost a step in the field and at the plate, but the thirty year-old keeps producing.

"Whitey may well come back to Wichita in 2041," grinned the Genius," We cut him loose early so he could see what kind of interest there is out there for him in free agency. If we can get him back at a reasonable price, we may well do so. It's not like anyone else stamped their name on the job when they were given the chance."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2040.04 End of the Wichita line(man!) for Whitey?

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:46 pm

I understand whitey was the great grandson of Angie.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”