2038.16 On A Higher Plane - Free Agency stragglers

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2038.16 On A Higher Plane - Free Agency stragglers

Post by felipe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 am

Wichita GM, Genius Hopkins summarised his late, end of the off-season free agent signings today.

"You may have noticed our new second baseman, Gabriel Talamante, this week," smiled the Genius," I realise we've started the 2038 season 1 and 6, but at least that guy is doing his job; four homeruns and a plus 1 ZR is pretty good."

Talalmante signed to a team friendly, six year deal that averages $6 million a season. The deal comes with numerous buyouts and player options. The thirty year old second baseman finally took the deal, after months of receiving low ball offers by the Wichita GM.

"I low balled offered nearly every decent free agent this off-season," boasted the GM," Thankfully Talamante eventually accepted my offer. Most of the guys got better deals elsewhere."

Joining Talamante is the Aviator infield, is twenty eight year old third baseman, Gary Schneider. Schneider signed to a one year, $1.8 million deal after the season had started.

"I tried for a long time to get Schneider to accept a two year, low money deal," sighed the Genius," I guess I can live with this deal; its half of what he was originally asking for on a one year deal."

Schneider immediately upgrades the Aviator infield from placeholder, Carlos Guerrero. Schneider hit a .750 OPS last season for Boise in his first season in a full-time role.

"Schneider isn't a huge upgrade," stated the Genius," But he is an upgrade, and the move frees up Guerrero for my intended use for him, left fielder against LHP."

The moves likely spell the end of the Aviator careers for veteran second and third baseman Sparky Anderson and Lew Driscoll.

"Unfortunately, with our pitching staff, the infielders have to be able to move to get to all those ground balls and line drives," grinned the Genius," These guys just weren't getting the job done."

The last significant free agency move by the Aviators, was fourth international free agency signing, Japanese 16 year old Crowbar Nishida. The almost irrelevant free agent (5/3/4) was signed to a $149,000 signing bonus, keeping the Aviators under the $1 million international free agent maximum threshold, at $999,999.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2038.16 On A Higher Plane - Free Agency stragglers

Post by RonCo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Mini-upgrades are always good, eh?
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”