2038.12 Stowing the Overhead Bin centerfield

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2038.12 Stowing the Overhead Bin centerfield

Post by felipe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 am

Centerfield

In what most BBA observers would call a curious decision, the Wichita Genius, GM Hopkins, has announced that Jorge Rincon, will be the Aviators' 2038 starting centerfielder. Curious in that, before his 2037 mid season injury, twenty-three year old Pedro Martinez, seemed to be doing a very credible job there.
The Genus appears to appreciate the fielding talents of Rincon a little more than Martinez's, despite Martinez actually achieving the better results, (statistically) so far in their respective careers. The move also takes an above average center fielder bat, and turns it into an a very average corner outfielder bat. It also places Martinez in direct competition for outfield playing time with established, heavier hitting, veterans Alvin Dickinson and Chet Gabriel, and shiny new Rule V toy, Jose Espinosa.

"Rincon can field," claimed the Genius," And apparently he can run...although he's shit at stealing bases (2 for 7)...he hits like my ten year old niece, but at least he can make (feeble) contact. So there's that."

"Point one in favor of giving him the starting job is that in my experience, guys with Rincon's talent profile don't age particularly well...I see a lot of these guys last two to three seasons and then inexplicably fall apart...so I may as well milk that $500k we're paying him for all its worth."

"Point Two, is that hurtbag Martinez is finding it tough to stay on the field...nine months for a knee? Back in my day of watching TV as a youngster, that's a three week...at the maximum, type of injury."

"Point three, is its nice to have a capable backup for centerfield, playing every day. Lets face it, Rincon's bat isn't gonna get him in the lineup, but I can put Martinez in across all of the outfield positions and lose next to nothing at the plate or in the field."

In competition for playing the weak side of the platoon is twenty-eight year old, Pedro Iturbide. Iturbide is notable for the fact that he has found it tough to crack the notoriously poor Aviator lineup, despite filling an obvious roster need. Whether that says more about his limited skills, or the Genius' roster management skills, is open for debate.

"Iturbide keeps slipping," grimaced the Genius," I'm not sure why I keep re-signing this guy...we may have to go with Ky yapa ski instead...although at that point, perhaps its better to live with Dickinson's poor splits against lefties...and his declining fielding skills...beats me how these clowns can have such poor poor splits. We're training up Abernathy in AAA to play weak side platoon in centerfield this year anyways...so we won't have this kind of pointless debate in 2039."

The Wichita minor positions have some flexibility and potential; waiting in the wings in the Aviators' minors are Wilson Villaneula (AAA) who should be ready for 2039, andHector Garza (A), 2041. Both are intriguing prospects, who project as solid starters in the future.

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”