2038.08 On A Higher Plane International Free Agents

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2038.08 On A Higher Plane International Free Agents

Post by felipe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 am

The Wichita Aviators signed a trio of Canadians today in international free agency.

Sixteen year old right handed pitcher, Mike Allain, from Alberta was the big capture, inked to a $350,000 signing bonus. Allain looks solid enough for a youngster, with a likely looking fastball and slider...time will tell if his change up ever develops, turning him from a relief prospect to a starting pitcher prospect. His 6-6-6 potential is enough to work with initially.

Sixteen year old outfielder, Johnny Kuhn, from Quebec, was also selected, and signed to a $250,000 bonus. Kuhn doesn't show much at the moment, projecting at 4-5-3-5-6, but his fielding looks acceptable, as does his speed.

The last Canadian signed, was outfielder Elmer Lomond, from British Columbia, to a $250,000 signing bonus. Lomond shows a bit more promise than Kuhn, currently rated at 5-7-6-5-6 by the Aviator scouts.

"We targeted the Canadians on purpose," grinned the Genius," I don't know if it'll work, but I thought that targeting guys from countries with good baseball pedigrees may make them more likely to turn into good professionals. At least its a strategy...of sorts..."

"We also offered contracts to the usual studs that were available, but our valuations were far off from what they got paid."

"I'm taking it as a win...we got shut out last year, when we landed 0 internationals; this year, we got three lottery tickets, and we have no penalties to harm us next season, when there is a hopefully stronger class of international free agents to bid for."

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”