2037.16...On A Higher Plane...Aviators claim two pitchers off waivers

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2037.16...On A Higher Plane...Aviators claim two pitchers off waivers

Post by felipe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:23 am

In a stunning development last night, America's team, the Wichita Aviators, claimed not one, but two aging relief pitchers off of the BBA waiver wire.

"It's bold moves like these that win championships," smirked the Wichita Genius, GM Hopkins," Every team in the league could have had at least one of them, but they were all too stupid...so I got 'em both."

Chubby Perkins is a name that should resonate with even the most disinterested BBA observer. The thirty-one year old righthander arrived on the BBA scene with a splash in 2030, capturing the reliever of the year award and an all-star berth with the Vancouver Mounties as a twenty-two year old. He was named an all star again in 2032 as a shut down closer for the Mounties. He signed a lucrative four year free agent deal with Valencia prior to the 2036 season, put couldn't bail out the moribund franchise in his time there.

"Perkins is the bomb," grinned the Genius," He's got a closer's mentality, which is just what we need, as we nail down that Johnson wildcard spot. And, if he doesn't work out for some crazy reason, I can buy him out at season's end for less than $500k. This one was a no-brainer. Yeah, I was surprised that Huntsville didn't make a move for him too."

Duck Cantrell was the other player stolen out from under the rest of the BBA GMs noses. Cantrell has long been considered THE preeminent BBA Loogy. The thirty-four year old is on an expiring $3.2 million annual contract.

"It was nice to get Ducky for nothing," grinned the Genius," Especially considering how under two years ago, I traded him for Don Draper. Madison should spend less time whining about their players not being all-stars, and spend more time managing their squad...they'd probably do a little better...well...then again...maybe not...their main strength does seem to be complaining."

The Aviators latest moves will surely necessitate more roster changes, as they push the club to 18 pitchers on their big league staff.

"You might say that I'm only rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic," grinned the Genius," But damn, if it isn't fun."

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 2037.16...On A Higher Plane...Aviators claim two pitchers off waivers

Post by 7teen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Cantrell lost his effectiveness as a starter for me and $3.2 million for a LOOGY was more than I wanted to pay for a guy with more walks than innings pitched at this point in the season. Cut my losses where they be.

Full circle it appears. You left out the fact Don Logan was sent in the Draper trade. You have Logan and Cantrell both back. Draper living the high life in.... Des Moines.

And it gets better.... Draper made the ALL STAR TEAM!

But at the same time, I'm paying my current 3B $11.5 million less for .5 WAR less at the moment so....

Not sure where I'm going with this other than to say Good Luck with Duck.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50