2036.01 On A Higher Plane...Cast-off Island

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

felipe
Ex-GM

2036.01 On A Higher Plane...Cast-off Island

Post by felipe » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:13 am

Wichita Genius, GM Hopkins was found happily rummaging through the trach that lies outside of Tom Selleck Park in the offseason. The windswept Western parking lot always accumulates a lot of trash each day against its outer fence before the cleaning staff gets around to its removal every afternoon. But the Genius always happily insists on getting there first, searching for forgotten or mislaid treasures.

"Look at this,"he says happily, holding up a half full box of cracker jack,"Collectors edition...they only made several hundred thousand of these...they don't have this box design out East...fetch me $2, $3 on ebay. More if I sit on it for a few years...maybe all the way up to $5 eventually!"

The Genius carefully puts it in a plastic bag, and suddenly stoops and looks closely at something on the ground; he reaches down and with an almighty pull, rips a tall athletic looking Dominican out of the very earth.

"Look at this! He still has two minor league options! He can defend centerfield! He can run! He can hit lefties! Best of all, he still has two minor league options! I can't believe Charm City just left him lying around. Pedro Iturbide!

Pedro dusts himself off, and squints into the midwestern afternoon sunshine, crosses himself and mumbles something in Spanish about his happiness in being rescued from the shit hole that is Baltimore.

"I know son,"says the Genius reassuringly as he places his hand on the young man's shoulder,"You're safe now."

The young man smiles a beautific smile that transforms his entire face, and lopes off towards the stadium; presumably to begin tracking baseballs across the magnificent midwestern sky as he glides above the beautiful expanse of the Aviators center field grass.

The Genius shakes his head fondly. "I never tire of these rescues,"he smiles,"Giving all these deserving youngsters another shot at the professional baseball life."

He continues walking and gestures against the fence once more,"I found Emilio Martinez right here at the end of September. Same story, great kid, two minor league options left...gives us great infield depth at second and third base. Not sure why Vancouver didn't rate him."

The Genius gestures at a different spot along the fence line,"Here...this is where I found Gustavo Gonzalez....not good enough for Twin Cities apparently...which is something I don't think you could accuratley say about the lowliest Rookie League player. Maybe if they had kept him on the roster, they would have won it all this season. You never can tell who will make the diference at the end of the year."

The Genius walks on, with his hands bunched deep into his Wichita Aviators windbreaker pockets. He turns and gestures once more towards the parking lot fence.

"Baseball can be the most beautiful of games,"he smiles,"You just have to know where to look."

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: 2036.01 On A Higher Plane...Cast-off Island

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am

Puts new meaning into "being on the fence".
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:20 pm

The Genius is always on his game.

I like Gonzalez quite a bit, actually.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm

The Genius continues to be the best at picking up the diamonds in the rough.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”