Poblanotes 51.8- Anchorage

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 51.8- Anchorage

Post by chicoruiz » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:56 pm

So anyway, as I mentioned in my last entry, I decided to visit our rookie league affiliate in Anchorage, mostly just to get away from the slow, plodding death by inches that the big league season has become.

I knew Anchorage is a metropolitan area, and obviously the climate there is amenable to playing baseball, but part of me was still expecting to be greeted at the airport by a grinning Eskimo who would strap me into a dog sled for the next leg of my journey. Instead I was met by Juan Trevino, the glum-looking manger of the Anchorage Polar Bears, and instead of a sled he was driving a rusted-out Subaru from 20 years ago. On the whole I’d have preferred the sled.

He took me to a nice brewpub (no whale blubber served- but a pretty good cheeseburger) and over our first beer he revealed the reason for his glum expression. “Well, Chico, I expect you’re here to fire me, and I just want you to know- I understand. We had a last-place team, and I guess I’m the one who ends up paying the price.”

I quickly reassured him that his job was secure and he brightened up considerably. The conversation shifted to his evaluation of the Polar Bears players. “Well, Goenka looked like a good prospect before he got hurt. Kouda and Seow might make it to triple A. The rest of them? Well, they’re mostly 17 and 18-year-old kids, so who knows, but I expect in a couple of years they’ll be working construction and telling everyone how they would have made it if their manager hadn’t had it in for them.”

I asked him what it was like working with such a young squad. “All they seem to care about is video games and broads, and they’re a lot better at the first than the second. Here’s a story for you: One of my teenagers met a hooker at a bar and went up to her hotel room, not realizing she was a pro. After they were done, he started to get dressed, and she said, hey, wait a sec, what about money? And he said, oh no, ma’am, you’ve been so nice to me, I couldn’t accept money from you.”

Kids. Parenthetically, I think I met the same woman in the hotel bar that night, and if you couldn’t ell she’d lost her amateur standing- well, you must be seventeen years old.

Stayed another night, walked around town looking for igloos without success. Time to get back home and start prepping for a hopefully productive offseason.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Poblanotes 51.8- Anchorage

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:46 pm

images-6.jpeg
images-6.jpeg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Eskimo hookers!
ImageImageImageImageImage

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Poblanotes 51.8- Anchorage

Post by recte44 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:22 pm