2054-0003: Talons Minor League Legend Chris Wright Talks About What it Means to Play for Toledo at the End of an Era

GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

2054-0003: Talons Minor League Legend Chris Wright Talks About What it Means to Play for Toledo at the End of an Era

Post by jiminyhopkins » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:12 am

Toledo, OH--

As the Liberty prepare to suit up for another convivial Opening Day in this small midwestern city of about 250,000 people, legendary minor league outfielder Chris Wright reflects on the end of an era.

"We have a baseball culture here in Toledo. Doesn't matter how old you are, how much money you make, what your experience is," he said. "If you can play, you can play. That's it. It's all about the team first. And, to a man, everyone I've ever seen come through here, young and old, has had some of their best baseball memories here with the Liberty."

"In my 10 year career here, I've not only seen this club draw nearly a million fans a year. I've also seen prospects like John Molyneaux, Ichizo Sugiyama, and Albert Krant. Not to mention veterans like Albert Gaona, Joey Newhouse, and Mark Wareham. And you know what? They all loved it here. All of them. Especially the ex-major leaguers. There are no hierarchies here, no cliques, no guys with million dollar contracts. Just players, grinders, guys who love the game. And the fan support is phenomenal. I mean we literally draw four times the area population into the the stadium every year. Isn't that wild?"

"Speaking of veterans," he continued, "I remember when Mons Raider finished up his career with the Liberty. Absolute legend, never seen a harder worker. He helps us win the 2045 and 2046 CPL Championships, then retires right then and there after the celebration. And you know what was really special, a month or so later? He had all of us on a group call the night his name was announced for the BBA Hall of Fame. That was an awesome moment, let me tell ya."

"But all that is coming to an end," Wright said, his mood darkening. "These new age limits mean that those things will never happen again. It means that, yeah, even my career is likely done."

"I feel bad for the fans, really, because Toledo will just become another cog in the player development machine. It just won't be special anymore. Even if the Talons get back on track with their farm system, there would only be maybe one or two top guys coming through here at any given time. The rest will be filler. And that's it."

"It sounds cliche, but it really is the end of an era."

Chris Wright holds numerous all-time records with the Liberty, including career batting average (.291), on base percentage (.396), games played (889), runs scored (640), and career WAR (33.3). He has helped lead Toledo to 1,072 wins and 6 of their 10 Championships during his tenure (2044-present).
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: 2054-0003: Talons Minor League Legend Chris Wright Talks About What it Means to Play for Toledo at the End of an Era

Post by tylertoo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:32 am

Make him a coach!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: 2054-0003: Talons Minor League Legend Chris Wright Talks About What it Means to Play for Toledo at the End of an Era

Post by Trebro » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:20 pm

This is a really great way to do an in-game, in character perspective that is the downside to the change. In-universe, what he's saying would be a huge deal across the cities in the BBA.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:50 pm

Im sorry can you please make the sig font bigger - i mean 10x champion - thats needs HUUUUUUUUGE font. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Phoenix Talons”