2036-01: Talons Participate in Community Service Projects

GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

2036-01: Talons Participate in Community Service Projects

Post by jiminyhopkins » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 am

Phoenix, AZ--

For the Talons, the offseason isn't just about golf. Every year after the season, before the players head home to their families, the club schedules a Community Day of Action, where players and front office personnel spend the entire day participating in various service initiatives. This year, happily, the day had to be pushed back by a week for the first time ever in order to accomodate the Talons' playoff schedule. "Better late than never, I guess," smiled Talons manager John Yates.

Throughout the day, various projects were scheduled. One was a Clean Streams initiative, where volunteers picked up trash from a local waterway. There was a project which involved filling backpacks full of school supplies and donating them to area elementary school students. Another included an Adopt-A-Highway program, which involved litter cleanup along Interstate 10 just north of downtown. Yes, that really was DH Mario Deortez, emblazoned in a safety-orange vest, that you passed along the side of the road during your morning commute.

Talons CF and darkhorse MVP candidate Thad Meyer was among those Talons personnel assisting in a massive donation to a Phoenix area food bank, where the team was able to fill two semis worth of food for area needy families. "We're ballplayers, so it's easy to become insulated from what regular folks really go through," Meyer said. "I can't imagine not knowing where your next meal will come from. I'm just glad we can do something to help out. In fact, I'm thinking of forming a foundation to continue the work I've done today."

Meyer's sentiment was echoed by other players. The franchise has only been around for seven seasons, but the Community Day of Action has already become a beloved tradition that has inspired other organizations to follow suit. "Hopefully next year, this thing will be delayed even further," Meyer said. "First week of November sounds about right."

GO Talons!
GM, 2051 and 2053 JL 4TH WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2056)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Return to “Phoenix Talons”