2054.6 New Additions Leave Franchise Player Positionless

GM: Alan Ehlers

Moderator: ae37jr

ae37jr
BBA GM

2054.6 New Additions Leave Franchise Player Positionless

Post by ae37jr » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:27 am

New Additions Leave Franchise Player Positionless Image Felix Ramos is going to play where?
After lasts seasons brutal 76-86 finish, Twin Cities management made two proclamations. The first is that they were going to take a step back and rebuild. The second is that franchise player Felix Ramos would not be put in a situation to hurt the team defensively. With the recent signings of Marco Acheson, Roberto Rivera, and Omer Dijkstra, both statements appear to be a lie. The 3 veteran players signed to short term deals play 1B, 3B, and LF respectively. Throw in David Simpson(RF) and Sertaç Safavî(DH) and Twin Cities has plugged every position not named second base that Ramos is "capable" of playing.

The thing is, a large portion of Twin Cities success so far this season has been the stellar up the middle defense of Kelsey Perry(+2.9) and Ignacio Venegas(+2.4). In fact, the River Monsters have the best defensive efficiency in the league thus far as well as the number one starting pitching ERA with a rag tag rotation. Sure, adding Dijstra's bat and shifting the defense to push Perry or Venagas to the bench makes the lineup much better. But does the hurt on the defense outweigh the good? We asked manager Gerald Brandt how he'll go about filling pout his lineup card moving forward.

"Look, the commitment to defense has had huge results for us this season. Venegas and Perry our going to continue to be our keystone combo for the most part. Adding Rivera and Dijkstra also helps our team defense out tremendously. But it's a long season and people are going to need days off. Ramos is flexible enough to cover every position but C. Even SS, where we can play Ramos at second and move Venegas to short and CF where we can have Ramos on a corner and move Dijkstra to CF. So he will no doubt play somewhere everyday.

As far as how much in each spot? Well, against lefties Dijkstra struggles, so you can pencil Ramos into LF everytime a southpaw is on the hill. Rivera and Safavi are both on the team mostly to hit LHP. We want to keep them fresh and in a position to succeed. So giving them each a blow every week against a tough righty is not the worst idea. Rivera, Dijkstra and Venegas are also fragile. To not expect them to have a DL trip or two through the course of 162 game season would be naive. And of course, we use sabermetrics and hit charts to fill our lineups every day. If we play a team that doesn't hit a lot of balls to second base, then it absolutely makes sense to start Ramos over Venagas to maximize offense. So, yeah. Ramos doesn't really factor into our plug and play lineups, but we don't really operate like that anyway. Rest assure, he will play somewhere everyday unless it's him that needs a rest while using his versatility to our advantage."

So there you have it. It sounds as if the Dijkstra and Rivera signings were just too good to pass up and the River Monsters plan to hide Ramos by shuffling him into a spot that is likely to see the least amount of balls, determined on a game to game basis. Only time will tell if this strategy works out.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2054.6 New Additions Leave Franchise Player Positionless

Post by trmmilwwi » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:46 am

Poor guy, a man without a home.

The toughest thing to do is to be a team in the middle I think. Committing to a rebuild is easy. Running a top 5 squad is easy (don't get me wrong, building the squad and keeping it intact is hard, the choice to continue with the direction is "easy"). The teams in the middle are in a tough spot as to whether to push for every last win or to tear it all down.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 am

That’s gotta hurt his pride. #cutramos
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:52 am

Dington wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 am
Well, if he didn't take as many pitches in the field as he does at the plate, he'd have a place to play.

trmmilwwi wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:46 am

The toughest thing to do is to be a team in the middle I think. Committing to a rebuild is easy. Running a top 5 squad is easy (don't get me wrong, building the squad and keeping it intact is hard, the choice to continue with the direction is "easy"). The teams in the middle are in a tough spot as to whether to push for every last win or to tear it all down.
Honestly, I probably play for different reasons then most and that is the most fun for me. I hate losing and winning gets boring too quick. I think I'm at my happiest when my team if fighting for the last playoff spot and I have several players playing over their heads cause I figured out how to make them better.
Alan Ehlers

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:18 am

ae37jr wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:52 am
Dington wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 am
Well, if he didn't take as many pitches in the field as he does at the plate, he'd have a place to play.

trmmilwwi wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:46 am

Honestly, I probably play for different reasons then most and that is the most fun for me. I hate losing and winning gets boring too quick. I think I'm at my happiest when my team if fighting for the last playoff spot and I have several players playing over their heads cause I figured out how to make them better.
I agree being on the bubble is the most fun, but very frustrating.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:40 am

He should demand a trade
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

woods
Ex-GM

Post by woods » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 am

Ramos showing why he just won "most versatile fielder" in the BBA Media Guide Superlatives.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:26 pm

Do you seriously get so deep into the weeds you look at other team's spray charts or was that just some baseball color?
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:07 pm

Trebro wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:26 pm
Do you seriously get so deep into the weeds you look at other team's spray charts or was that just some baseball color?
I do. I enjoy being a manager more than a GM. I scout the other team before filling out 7 day lineups for the week. If we face a pitcher with 15 stuff, I'll use that day to rest my players that strikeout a lot. If I see a catcher with no arm, I'll put all my fast runners in the lineup. If a team has weak infield defense, I'll put my best bunters in and crank up the sliders. I kinda have a reputation of being a team that you don't want to face in the playoffs. Cause if you have a weakness, I'm probably going to exploit it.
Alan Ehlers

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:17 pm

I originally read the title as "New Addictions Leave Franchise Player Positionless."
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Twin Cities River Monsters”