2054.5 Oops, We Did It Again

GM: Alan Ehlers

Moderator: ae37jr

ae37jr
BBA GM

2054.5 Oops, We Did It Again

Post by ae37jr » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:22 pm

Oops, We Did It Again Image Twin Cities can't seem to resist the urge to spend, even if outcome is obvious

When GM Alan Ehlers took over the Twin Cities River Monsters in the fall of 2049, his goal was to start out on a rebuild that would take at least 5 years. The very next season, he blew his wad on a bunch of UMEBA(GBC) players who busted very quickly. The very next season, he shipped out all his prospects and signed every aging free agent that nobody wanted. After a two year run that netted the franchise a Cartwright Cup appearance and then a big fat underachieving follow up, the team was once again thinking strip and save.

The off season started simple enough. Signing a bunch of no risk, veteran starters to minor league contracts with major league options with the intent on using them out of the bullpen. The decision to target the bottom of the free agent pool seemed fruitful as the team brought in Eric Buckson, Ernesto Delgado, Juan García, Melvin Simpson, Jeff Doane and Martin Ross among others to revamp a dismantled bullpen. While none are flashy signings, the team does seem overly optimistic that the unit will turn out above average results while giving them seemingly infinite starting pitching depth.

Happy with the results, The River Monsters extended this strategy to the offense, adding utility man Carlos Flores and centerfielder Andrew Maccoll to strengthen the bench. Then came the rule 5 draft, where Twin Cities feel that they walked away with two starting caliber players in Kelsey Perry and Anurodha Nayar. Finally, the team added some more cheap role players on one year deals such as Rafael Mendoza, Quant Kouros, Ronnie Hubbard, José Ordóñez, and Jafar Haamid.

Honestly, this should be considered a really great off season. A team lacking depth, added a whole bunch of cheap depth to win a few games while trying to save money and restock the farm. Then we get this.....
1B Acheson Agrees to Twin Cities's Offer
Thursday, March 12th , 2054
A wave of jubilation swept over Twin Cities today as fans and team officials celebrated the signing of Marco Acheson.

Despite the fact that the Twin Cities River Monsters will have to pay out $30,000,000 over 3 years, he will certainly draw fans to the park. Let's just hope they don't crank up ticket prices!

Acheson has compiled a career batting average of .291 with 172 hits, 24 homers and 86 RBIs.
Ugh, $30 million on a 32 year old platoon 1B with a piss poor attitude from the GBC with only one BBA season to go off of? Why... just why did we do that? And rumor has it that the River Monsters have another hefty offer out for another ageing "superstar". All I have to say is if it's a second go with Bing-de Zhao, we riot.

Will this roster flip make Twin Cities relevant this season? probably not. But at least this team isn't going to tank like they did to get Felix Ramos(whoops, was that out loud).
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2054.5 Oops, We Did It Again

Post by Dington » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:44 pm

I was a little surprised by that Acheson signing.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: 2054.5 Oops, We Did It Again

Post by tylertoo » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:55 pm

Ah, Marco Acheson. He was someone I gave thought to bidding on, for the simple reason that many seasons ago I had him in grasp, and let him slip away...

I had just returned to the Brewsterverse, 2044 in-game, and I took over the Libyan Generals. In my first trade ever, I acquired Marco and Trent Mangan for a relief pitcher. It seemed like a no-brainer! I was thrilled! And then after one season in AA, I was ready to promote Marco when suddenly...

I failed to protect him in the UMEBA Rule 5 Draft. And just like that, he was gone, off to Athens, for nothing. I felt like a moron. And I vowed, 'someday I'll get him back.'

So when I saw him this off-season in the FA pool I gave thought to trying to finally reclaim Marco. But his price was too high.

Good luck with him!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Twin Cities River Monsters”