2051.11 Quick Hits

GM: Alan Ehlers

Moderator: ae37jr

ae37jr
BBA GM

2051.11 Quick Hits

Post by ae37jr » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:43 am

Quick Hits Image River Monsters reach .500.......still, in last place
While it's still way too early in the season to be scoreboard watching, the Twin Cities River Monsters are playing .500 baseball through their first 12 games(7.4% of the season). Despite playing what many would consider to be the benchmark of mediocrity, Twin Cities still finds themselves in last place in the Heartland Division. Cut us some slack guys. We're trying to get better. Can we at least get a glimmer of hope?

Brooks Shines in Debut
Erik Brooks made his BBA debut this week against perennial powerhouse Portland. The 6'6" 21 year old righty threw 7 innings of 2 hit ball, striking out four and walking none. Twin Cities did their best to ensure Brooks would succeed by cherry picking the start against a right handed heavy lineup and providing Brooks with the best defensive alignment that was possible. Moving forward Brooks will look to get the ball every 5 days regardless of opposition, but Twin Cities will likely continue to us use a defense over offense lineup when he pitches.

Is The Cyclone Back?
The River Monsters currently have the 5th best SP ERA in the Frick. They have also used 8 different starting pitchers through the first 12 games. One might think this is some grandiose plan by a GM that seems to always have a trick up his sleeve. I'd like to say that is true. This is more of a making chicken salad out of chicken shit situation. If the team doesn't tighten up the chaos then they are going to forget to dot an "i" or cross a "t" and the chicken salad is going to hit the fan causing mass bodies to hit the IL. Look for Twin Cities to use newfound offensive depth to possibly acquire a starting pitcher or two in the coming weeks.

No Offense to Too Much Offense?
Much has been made in recent years about the all time level of bad that the Twins Cities offense has been. Y'all are preaching to the choir. Knowing that we needed as many players as possible vs 1-2 top free agents, Twin Cities went value hunting this winter. Aires Penharanda , Ricardo Mendoza, and LJ Niles are just 3 of the latest names to join what is starting to be an intriguingly deep offensive roster. To be honest, I have no idea where these guys are going to play.

It's been more about, "Hey, this guy is pretty good and a bargain" vs "We need to sign this type of player who plays this position to fill a hole". It's taken us 11 free agent signings, one trade(Alomar), a rule 5 pick(Collinridge), 1 waiver claim(Niles) and 2 rookies(Benson and Moton when he comes up) to get to the point where it's starting to get crowded. Oh, and did I forget to mention that Felix Ramos will be here the second the pen hits the paper?

Obviously this is a good problem to have and a lot of the players have flexibility. That part has been by design. Still, we may be seeing a few trades developing soon in an attempt to shape this roster into what.. dare I say... can compete for a playoff spot this season?
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Return to “Twin Cities River Monsters”