Twin Cities River Monsters' Terribly Named and Too Hard to Type News Blog for Baseball Stories 2045.14

GM: Alan Ehlers

Moderator: ae37jr

Ted
Ex-GM

Twin Cities River Monsters' Terribly Named and Too Hard to Type News Blog for Baseball Stories 2045.14

Post by Ted » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:28 pm

TCRMTNTHTTNBBS #14
Thurs Nov 29th, 2045
Recalci T. M. Thrope

So, for those of you that are confused. I privately asked the GM about what I consider a proliferation of very short TN that barely, if at all, meet the requirements as stated in our rules. I fear that the ability to write 200+ ten line TN a season is dangerous to the league balance, in that the PP can be used to do things like build stadiums, increase budget, and create cash.

First off, this is in no way an attack on any league member. It is the responsibility of the GB to provide feedback and adjust the rules as necessary.

After I stated to the GB that a copy and paste of a form changing 15-30 words seems to not meet the requirements, I received feedback that it could.

A different GB member told me that all submissions for PP are subjective to review, and points can be adjusted up or down after the season. I asked for clarification of the minimum amount, since it appears to be less than the the stated rules in the constitution:

What constitutes a sufficient Team News report? In order to qualify for the points, your Team News writings must be original, owner-created content. Copying and pasting from your OOTP team page will not count. You must have at least two solid paragraphs of original, owner-created written content. One sentence is far less than a paragraph. Non PPT-worthy postings should be pinned in your Team News forum or posted elsewhere on the board. Also, please post each news item as a separate thread for easier tallying.

I think that a good number of TN over the last few season have very loosely, if at all met that description. Again, my fear is our financial system being impacted by the ease of generating PP through TN.

TN have always been the problem, in my mind, because sometimes you write one that takes an hour, and sometimes you can say everything you want to in five minutes. And they are all worth the same (unless the total is adjusted after the season which is another entire can of worms)

There's not a lot to be done about this.

In my often immature way, to prove a point, I engaged in a proliferation of very formulaic TN. In roughly an hour, I cranked out 10 TN that appear to maybe meet requirements. Maybe. But there have been a good number written like this over the past few years. I wasn't sure that the GB members understood how fast this really can be done. Maybe they did. But the answer is FAST. Like super fast. Like 200 PP in ten hours fast. Over the course of a season, if I spent say 2 hours a week doing this, I could earn 480 PP. Just two hours a week.

Anyway, as is often the case with me, there is generally a better way to handle things. I don't always get it right.

Apologies to the GB members for the abrasiveness of my engagement in this discussion. I'm fairly concerned with the TN proliferation in recent years. Much of it is due to the passion some GMs have for their teams, but to think that the ease of accruing a WAR chest of PP doesn't play a role is a bit naïve in my mind.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Twin Cities River Monsters' Terribly Named and Too Hard to Type News Blog for Baseball Stories 2045.14

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Hey, wait. You’re not trying to game the system, are you? The Brewster-Industrial Complex will not be amused ...

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Twin Cities River Monsters' Terribly Named and Too Hard to Type News Blog for Baseball Stories 2045.14

Post by Ted » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:45 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:39 pm
Hey, wait. You’re not trying to game the system, are you? The Brewster-Industrial Complex will not be amused ...
I'm just bickering with Aaron and Ron in a rather immature way.
Ted Schmidt

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:47 pm

GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Ted wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:45 pm
HoosierVic wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:39 pm
I'm just bickering with Aaron and Ron in a rather immature way.
Immature bickering - a BBA tradition for more than 70 seasons!

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Actually, immature bickering is capped at 69 seasons and was 69 seasons before our 69th season.

Nice.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:16 pm

The last note I'd like to make is that the proliferation of short TN makes me less likely to write. If all it takes is a few sentences in a couple separate paragraphs, it's hard at times to care enough to write more. Especially given that at least half the GMs I talk to say they don't read as much TN anymore because there are too many.
Ted Schmidt

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Immature, maybe. Funny, hell yes.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm

FWIW, I recently expressed the same concern.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

RichY
Ex-GM

Post by RichY » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Well I am posting a fair amount and while the PPT are nice, I just enjoy it. I would do it even without the PPT. I also would be fine with a cap on PPT for TN. Some I write are quickly done and some take a bit longer. Honestly when I am writing I think "who the hell is going to read this?" and I keep it brief. Another reason I post a lot is I decided I would do a fan blog style (at least part of the time) and that seems like it would lend itself to posting more. I am going to rethink my approach though as there are some good points brought up here. Cheers.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:19 pm

RichY wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Well I am posting a fair amount and while the PPT are nice, I just enjoy it. I would do it even without the PPT. I also would be fine with a cap on PPT for TN. Some I write are quickly done and some take a bit longer. Honestly when I am writing I think "who the hell is going to read this?" and I keep it brief. Another reason I post a lot is I decided I would do a fan blog style (at least part of the time) and that seems like it would lend itself to posting more. I am going to rethink my approach though as there are some good points brought up here. Cheers.
Rich, I have no power or control at all here. This is just my opinion. A quick scan of your TN shows absolutely nothing you should worry about. This is Ron's concern about complaints on this topic, that it will discourage writing. You're fine. Keep it up and do what you want.

Really, this isn't even a thing to think about until seasonal posts are getting into the 75 to 100 range. It just doesn't matter that much until then. And there's no reason a GM can't write 500 TN in a season if they want to. It's trying to decipher the line between , "I'm having fun writing" and "I'm doing this to earn PPT and not really keeping up with the idea behind TN."'

That's pretty damn difficult, and it's why some of the GB guys are so hesitant to make any sweeping moves.

For some background, when I joined this league in the early 2020's, it was rare to have more than 25 TN from a single team in a year. That number has slowly crept up and up and up, to now where it's not unusual to have 100+ TN's from multiple teams.

At the same time, the length and depth of writing, again, in my opinion only, has gone down on average. There's a great variation as well. Some guys are literally putting out 75-100 really thought out, long TN's. Some guys are doing more blurb style updates for the same number.

I'm the kind of person who gets really bothered by those types of discrepancies. Probably too much so.

But the takeaway is, unless someone from the GB has said something specifically to you about your writing, do not worry about it at all. Write what you want.
Ted Schmidt

RichY
Ex-GM

Post by RichY » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Yeah I thought I was good but doesn't hurt to think about it. Thanks Ted.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Actually, just about the only person churning out more than 25 TN in a year was me back then.

My record is 51 TN, I think.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:36 pm

1) My personal definition of a TN is one that I might actually want to read. Yes, some of mine I feel come close to not cutting it here as well but I at least try to make it click-bait worthy as I hope at least some might find something interesting.

2) For the longest time, I've been more at odds with folks not hitting the TN requirements and timelines. So, I guess the ease and proliferation of some writings, well, I might not be a huge fan of it but at least they're invested.

3) For some teams, not having a huge budget or fan base, etc. can hamper their abilities to compete. If this is one way that they can legally take advantage of the system laid out before them to help make their team better, then I dont feel like I should complain.

4) I'm kind of jealous that I dont feel like I even have enough time to do this as well.

5) Rants from Ted are like having herpes - if you wait long enough it'll just go away.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:46 pm

RichY wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Do not be discouraged writing TN. Write to your little heart’s content. You produce great stuff that many people enjoy reading. Others prefer keeping tabs on there organization. To each their own. I think Ted’s point was the effort is rewarded evenly no matter if you write a feature type TN or just a two sentence recap. The purpose of TN shouldn’t be to accumulate PPT.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Twin Cities River Monsters”