GM: Alan Ehlers

Moderator: ae37jr

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

2037.12 TWC Turns Out Mark Wareham has been struggling with back issues

Post by Spiccoli » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 pm

SS Mark Wareham
.195 BA / .704 OPS / 82 BB (2nd BBA) / 2.1 WAR

It's been apparent for awhile now that Mark Wareham hasn't been himself this season. His power numbers have been way off and his typically low batting average fell to sub .200 in the last month. He's still pulling in walks, but he's not running away with the BBA walk lead like as typical. Across the board, Mark Wareham is having his worst season in the BBA... just one year into his new 6 year contract extension...

In a season where injuries to key players have taken a toll on the team, having a struggling Mark Wareham has been another blow and the team.

Now whether it's good or bad news will remain to be seen, but it was revealed last week that Wareham has been fighting back issues and was officially put on the DL for 2 weeks. Mark insisted he could still play, but the Front Office thought it best to shut him down and hope that he can come back and provide a much needed shot in the arm to a struggling River Monster offense.

When Mark Wareham is due to come back, two other key players who have been shelved for almost 3 months, Chris Kelly and Albert Ganoa will also be in the process of returning.

Outside of 3B Chris Limon (Out 8 more weeks), when all three return, the team will have all it's key players back in a most critical time.

Twin Cities once held a 6 game lead in the Heartland Division and has currently fallen to the last Wild Card Playoff spot. The team traded for veterans who have failed to deliver and at the current pace, will be shortly on the outside looking in. Fans are holding their breath, praying the team can hold on a bit longer until the Calvary can show up...
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2037.12 TWC Turns Out Mark Wareham has been struggling with back issues

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm

I've seen it happen that guys who slump eventually get shown to have an injury. No idea if this is just me matching patterns, but I wonder about Lucas McNeill, too. :) Hopefully, Wareham will get back, though.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:14 pm

RonCo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm
I've seen it happen that guys who slump eventually get shown to have an injury. No idea if this is just me matching patterns, but I wonder about Lucas McNeill, too. :) Hopefully, Wareham will get back, though.
I agree... I like the idea that a player might be struggling due to an undisclosed injury.

It's happened to me twice with Chris Kelly. He started having unexplainable bad outings, then boom, out for an extended period.

In future versions, it would be nice if the game gave some kind of indication so we could avoid it... But with pitchers, I can also see the damage being done and the result is the bad outings and when the game finally notifies you that's he's going to be out for surgery, the Team Doctor has just caught up to what's going on.

Anyway, if Wareham taking two weeks off means he's going to come back to his old self (or close to it), I'll glady put him on the DL for that time.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I admit that there have been times, especially with pitchers, where I've skipped starts or benched relievers for a week or two just to get them rested "and healed" when they had sudden performance drops. I did it several times with Alberto Sanchez. But I'm reluctant to recommend that because I could just be superstitious. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 pm

RonCo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm
I admit that there have been times, especially with pitchers, where I've skipped starts or benched relievers for a week or two just to get them rested "and healed" when they had sudden performance drops. I did it several times with Alberto Sanchez. But I'm reluctant to recommend that because I could just be superstitious. :)
If the game is doing this, count me as completely opposed. I know we don't know, but the idea of it is alarmingly stupid. It would be one thing if the players could tell us they were sore, or their arm was tired. Or if would could see that their mechanics were different. Just making me guess that a guy might be hurt because he had a few bad starts in a row or a hitter lumped for a month is beyond stupid. Regular healthy players slump of get unlucky for a few weeks all the time. The Fun Police has (have?) spoken.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Twin Cities River Monsters”