Charm City 2056.1 - Changes and Looking Ahead

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Charm City 2056.1 - Changes and Looking Ahead

Post by DaveB » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:47 pm

Back to back championships, coming off a 120 win season. What else can we do other than go for the 3peat?

Changes:

Salary Cap systems cause changes on a roster regardless if the champion wants changes to occur or not. We're no different. The following key players have left via free agency or trade since the champagne was popped after the 2055 season.

OF: Norihisa 'Knuckles' Yokoyama
SP: Hotha Buyoya
1B: Colm Alker
MR: Lindsay Barber
SP: Richard Bullock
MR: Gerardo Rea
CF: Arvin Duggan
OF:: Shirai Matsumoto
CF: Bill Morley

Yokoyama and Buyoya we expected to lose to free agency as they were trade deadline acquisitions. Colm Alker was a player I wasn't expecting to lose as he was signed for this season, but opted out of the final year of his contract and still sits in the free agent market. Barber also opted out of the final year of his contract. I had hoped to resign him, but he opted to test free agency (probably didn't help the GM missed the export for that sim). Richard Bullock was going to get non-tendered, so we traded him. Gerardo Rea hurts quite a bit because he's been an anchor in our pen since being claimed off waivers. Finally Arvin Duggan left as well. Duggan I had the opportunity to resign, but he wanted a 5 year deal while we were only willing to go 3 years. Finally both Morley and Matsumoto were traded to add some pitching help.

With players leaving the team that means we had to make some additions to fill those holes. The following players were added:

MR: Wayne Dorsey
MR: Bill O'Connor
LF: Wilson Alomar
OF: Chuck 'Pip' Dickens
SP: Carl Vincent

Wayne Dorsey returns home to our team after departing via free agency following the 2053 season. Dorsey has posted a solid 2.43 ERA in Charm City vs a career 3.75 ERA. He seems to like it here. Bill O'Connor was signed to replace Barber. I went in his direction because I felt the two pitchers had similar talents and O'Connor is a little cheaper than what Barber was seeking. Veteran outfielder Wilson Alomar was signed to be our DH this year. and take the at bats lose by the departure of Alker. Alomar posted a 114 OPS+ in 2054 vs RHP. Dickens was signed to be the 5th OF/backup CF. Carl Vincent was acquired for Morley and Matsumoto. I didn't want to move Morley as I had him penciled in as our starting CF this year. Vincent spent the first two sims in AAA so we can manipulate service time to get an extra year out of him. He's being promoted for tomorrow's sim.

Okay so you lost 9, but added 5. My math's rusty, but who takes the other spots?

The following players made the opening roster out of spring training. These guys were with our minor league system last year.

CF: Mike Cox besides having one of the greatest names to ever play the game won the centerfield job because we didn't have a challenger for him. I'm hoping he can generate a 2 WAR while playing a steady defense this year.
MR: Robinson Pérez - is a pitcher who I probably like more than I should. He posted a 2.64 ERA last year in AAA. We're hoping he can provide a solid pen arm and eat some innings this year.
P: Rob Scott - was a necessity addition due to being out of options. I'm worried that his lack of movement will hurt his effectiveness in the majors. He opened the year as our long inning reliever and was the #51 ranked prospect as recently as last November.
INF: Kilipaki Iugini is going to be our backup infielder. Iugini, like Scott won the roster spot due to his lack of options. If he struggles early he could find himself on the waiver wire.

Outlook:

I don't think we're as good as last season. Part of that to do is because I don't feel we have our best players in the majors right now. Part of it is we lost a lot of solid talent from last season. I'm expecting us to win the division and a 3peat isn't out of the question.
Charm City Jimmies GM (2051-Present)

2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers
2054, 2055, 2058 Monty Brewster Champion with Charm City Jimmies

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Charm City 2056.1 - Changes and Looking Ahead

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:57 pm

Dynasty.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:02 pm

Mike Cox looks good so far. Lets hope he can keep it up.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm

DaveB wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:47 pm
Outlook:

I don't think we're as good as last season. Part of that to do is because I don't feel we have our best players in the majors right now. Part of it is we lost a lot of solid talent from last season. I'm expecting us to win the division and a 3peat isn't out of the question.
Can you expound on the bolded at all?

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm

One more post... anybody have the background on why so many players have the "don't touch my drumset!" nickname?

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:02 pm
I used to work with a guy named Mike Hunt at UPS back in the day.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:22 pm

trmmilwwi wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm
BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:02 pm
I used to work with a guy named Mike Hunt at UPS back in the day.
Guess that explains why he worked with boxes and packages.

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Post by DaveB » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:00 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm
DaveB wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:47 pm
Outlook:

Can you expound on the bolded at all?
I started the season with Vincent in AAA to get an extra year. Siua Hooheno would’ve been our setup guy, but he has options left and I wanted to see what Robinson Perez and Rob Scott can do in the bigs. I also think Danny Castillo is a better fit for the team because he’s a better hitter than Iugini, but Iugini is out of options.
Charm City Jimmies GM (2051-Present)

2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers
2054, 2055, 2058 Monty Brewster Champion with Charm City Jimmies

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Charm City Jimmies”