Jimmie Jabber 2051.6

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Jimmie Jabber 2051.6

Post by DaveB » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 pm

Today's Jimmie Jabber is going to focus on one player who has me quite excited for next year. Now when I think of a defensive dynamo the first place I think of having that player is at one of two positions. Those positions being CF and SS. One position that doesn't strike me as a huge defensive position is second base. The thing is that we have a player who could become a perennial challenger for the gold glove at 2B for the next decade. That player is 2B: Dave Ackerman. Ackerman wasn't considered a top prospect coming into the season. He failed to crack the top 100 prospects in the BBA and wasn't ranked in our top 5 prospects during the offseason. If memory serves me well he was ranked around the 7-10th spot on our prospect list coming into the season. Ackerman isn't going to wow anyone with his hitting prowess. He's currently hitting a modest .246/.276/.410/.685 line with an OPS+ of 76. He's also kicked in 11 steals in 11 attempts. Where his value lies going forward is his excellent defensive play.

Defensive play can be hard to measure because there aren't many stats that can accurately measure how well a player plays his position. There is a lot of differing thoughts statistically that shows whether or not someone is good. Personally I'm a fan of the Zone Rating stat in OOTP, so that is a statistic that I'm going to be focusing on. Presently Ackerman is ranked 3rd in the BBA in Zone Rating with an excellent 13.4 in just 66 games since being promoted from AAA. Conversely the two players ahead of Ackerman, Daniel Pepper and Scott Torres, have played 140 and 139 games respectively while posting a 17.4 and 17.1 ZR each. Over the course of a full season Ackerman projects to post a zone rating over 30. I know teams can't win the championship with a team full of defensive only players, guys who can play excellent defense and not embarrass themselves at the plate and play elite defense is something that can help teams win the championship.

Moving forward I'm not really sure what to expect from Dave. Other than having a great first name I don't think I've ever had a player like him. I'm hopeful he can continue playing his elite defense while improving his batting line. If he can't improve his batting line I don't have an issue having a starting second baseman who posts 2-3 WAR rating (He currently has a 1.1 WAR). I'm excited to see what he can do for us next season and years to come.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

Return to “Charm City Jimmies”