Warehouse Wire 2038.04: "The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated"

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

bcslouck
BBA GM

Warehouse Wire 2038.04: "The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated"

Post by bcslouck » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 am

Carlton Winson is a former two time Sawyer Silk winner. He signed a monster contract extension before the 2036 season, what seems like long ago now, when the team though there window was still open. That wasn't the case.

It was a contract extension he was never going to live up to. Brandon Slouck knew it. Every GM knew it. The fans knew it. He was getting paid for what he did not what he was going to do. There in lies the "mistake."

I say mistake with the "" because he's still been productive. In 2036, he still managed a .976 OPS. Is it the 1.000+ OPS we were used to? No. But it was 66 points higher than 2035. He did only play 91 games but he looked on his way back to a monster season. Maybe not Sawyer Silk worthy. But still one of the best players in the league worthy. He seemed to have something left in the tank. That is, until 2037 where it dipped all the way to .823 in a full season. Yikes. His ratings dropped. He had his worst season full season ever. The only silver lining was that his annual salary dropped.

That brings us to 2038. The team was once again projected to be at the bottom of the division. It's basically Winson and "who's that" on the roster. Between guys like Mario Rodríguez who came up from A ball, to Rule 5 guys like Peadar McIihome, the team is actually a decent mix of youth and veterans. So far they are 16-16. Very early, but surprising to say the least.

Winson for his part has looked liked his old self so far. A .978 OPS through 27 games will work. He's actually managed to be better against lefties, a perceived weakness for him. Will the OPS hold? Who knows. Probably not. But it's possible if he starts crushing RHP like he's capable of. He'll struggle to hit .250 but he'll walk a lot and still has elite power.

At least early in the season, Baltimore doesn't have to remember him for what he was.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Warehouse Wire 2038.04: "The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated"

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 am

I like the "dig." :bag:
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant