Warehouse Wire 2035.12: New Direction

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

bcslouck
BBA GM

Warehouse Wire 2035.12: New Direction

Post by bcslouck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 am

In the last few weeks, it's become clear the Jimmies aren't the team that made the playoffs the last 4 years. The history of the team looked a little bleaker despite locking up EBA draftees Egbert Behner and Wilmot Schlöndorff to long term extensions. All-Star Aubrey Anderson and former All-Star Máximo Quezada only signed through 2036. 35-47 through the end of June, the team had under performed and look like a lock to miss the playoffs for the first time since 2030, the teams 2nd year in existence. Change was inevitable.

First one to go was Tony Caneles, who got shipped off to New Orleans. In return, they picked up Alfonso Santos and Myeong-hwan Im. The team may give Santos the chance to start on a strict pitch count while Im is probably a future 4th outfielder.

July 14th, the team shipped out both Behner and Schlöndorff, to Jacksonville and San Fernando respectively. Candra Alisjahbana was also sent to the Jacksonville. Between the two trades, the team got back Luis Claudio, Takanori Goto, Adam Simons, Fernando Rodriguez, Glen Crawford, Aires Gonzalez, and Yohan Marion. Claudio is close to ML ready and could be in the OF sooner than later. The rest of the bunch are guys who are a few years away but all have potential to contribute at the ML level.

A week later, Anderson, Quezada, and Luis Soto will shipped to Omaha for Bartolo Munoz, Jorge Nevarez, Se-tol Kim, Nikita Schipper, Constantino Teixeira, and George O'Connor. O'Connor looks to be a back end of the rotation starter and again, the rest look to be ML contributors with a long way to. Nevarez looks to be a future Ace as long as he continues to develop.

Only Nevarez was a true top prospect. The rest are good to solid ones. While the teams system rank hasn't really moved, the depth of the farm has gotten much deeper in the last few weeks. The trades signaled a change of pace for a team who's been trying to win since it's inception. It will now shift to acquiring as much minor talent as possible to look to the future.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Warehouse Wire 2035.12: New Direction

Post by Ted » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:28 pm

I loved seeing your tear down. Not of course because I want you to be bad, but because it was so decisively executed. I'm not a total rebuild kind of guy, but waaaaaaay to often we see half measures or partial tear downs that gut too much talent to keep competing, but hold on to too many good players for simply no reason. Well done.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Now what about Winson. It will be tough I think to move him because of his contract. Many teams can't take that on. However, with your reduced payroll, you could just keep him to bring in the fans and keep your income up. Plus watching him hit all those dingers will give you something to enjoy while you rebuild.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:28 pm
I loved seeing your tear down. Not of course because I want you to be bad, but because it was so decisively executed. I'm not a total rebuild kind of guy, but waaaaaaay to often we see half measures or partial tear downs that gut too much talent to keep competing, but hold on to too many good players for simply no reason. Well done.
I've been in this spot before. The best way to do it is all the way. I think we got by on our stars and they were starting to fade. The next playoff team will probably be more balanced.
indiansfan wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm
Now what about Winson. It will be tough I think to move him because of his contract. Many teams can't take that on. However, with your reduced payroll, you could just keep him to bring in the fans and keep your income up. Plus watching him hit all those dingers will give you something to enjoy while you rebuild.
Yep. I'd certainly take back a contract if someone sent me a great offer. But I'm perfectly happy to let him be the face of the team until we're ready to compete again.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:28 pm
Agreed. Kudos on not falling into no mans land.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 pm

No Mans Land is the worst. If I'm not going to be competitive, I'd rather be bad. I won't be tanking though. I do plan to still be aggressive in FA and the trade market for the right deals.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

starfox64
Ex-GM

Post by starfox64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 am

As someone who just joined the league and is in the same spot, this process could provide an interesting roadmap to follow.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm

I agree, excellent job on the tear down. You got a whole bunch of depth pieces to play with. Often times people hold out for more and end up with nothing. My only critic is obviously the Winson signing. If you would have held off a little longer and realized it wasn't your year, you would have gotten a huge haul for him as a rental and it would have been someone else's problem to empty the Brinks truck. It's easier said then done though. I think there may still be a match out there though.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 pm

starfox64 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 am
As someone who just joined the league and is in the same spot, this process could provide an interesting roadmap to follow.
As the guy who nominated himself as the pundit who reviews trades (with no real qualifications) this is about 80% of maximal, which is pretty amazing. I mean, Slouck could have reamed everyone in every single trade theoretically, but that's unrealistic. As far as timing goes, making a move an sticking to a philosophy, and getting good returns, you really can't expect a ton better. A solid point was made about the timing of the Winson signing. I would never have made that extension as I predicted Charm City to be on a downward trend before the 2034 season (and was proven wrong by a great year). That probably figured into Charm City's expectations of competing this year. But reality hit and now he's hard to move for any value. From the outside, it's easy to call mistake, but as the GM of a team that just caught fire, it's all to easy to believe your current model is viable.

Lost of words later, yeah, this is a good roadmap.

Also, I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but I'm now hammered. DO A BARREL ROLL!

(Breaking your fast by drink a giant 11% beer is probably dumb, and not a good way to lose weight, but it sure is fun!)
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Charm City Jimmies”