Charm City 2055.1 - Spring Battles

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Charm City 2055.1 - Spring Battles

Post by DaveB » Fri May 26, 2023 8:33 pm

Coming off a championship season we have a few spring training battles. In the upcoming article we're going to take a look at those battles along with some of the active particpants.

5th Starting Pitcher:

I'm expecting this to be a two pitcher battle. Allen Davidson and You-de Szema are the favorites to take the job with the loser expecting to head to the long relief role. Davidson was stellar in the starting role last year notching an 8-2 record with a 3.98 ERA in 74.2 innings last year. Szema was just 5-11 with a 5.25 ERA last year. Davidson is the favorite to win the job here. We may see Mariano 'Punch' Ortega, our top pitching prospect and non-roster minor league free agent Robinson Pérez make a push for the job at some point this year.

Chances of Landing the Job:

Davidson - 75%
Szema - 20%
Perez - 5%

Middle Relief:

Next we're going to be looking at the battle for the last middle relief role. There are a few other pitchers who I foresee battling for the middle relief role. Amongst them are the aforementioned Robinson Pérez, Rob Scott, Robin Riddle, Max Dawe, Vonne Baloloy, and Fernando Camacho. Rob Scott is a player I'm interested in seeing what he can do because he's got electric stuff, but has struggled throughout his pro career with the long ball. Perez 176 BBA games in his career with a 4.50 ERA and a 96 ERA+ in his career. Riddle is a player that hasn't been able to find his footing in AAA and is going to be given a chance in relief this year to see if there is any more. Dawe came over to us as a minor league free agent to provide some depth who can start, but also to see if there is anything else in him as a reliever. Baloloy was selected and returned to us the Rule V Draft. He's a 6 year BBA veteran with a career 4.54 ERA and a 99 ERA+, finally Camacho got his first taste of BBA action after spending parts of 9 years in the minors last year. He responded well with a 2.40 ERA in 15 innings last year. Finally depending on how the position slots end up we may only carry 12 pitchers which could make this part of the article useless.

Chances of Landing the Job:

Baloloy - 45%
Scott - 5%
Riddle - 5%
Camacho - 5%
Dawe - 5%
Perez - 20%
None - 15%

Last Bench Spot:

I'm not sure what I want to call this because there are a lot of variables in what is going on with the team offensively. Instead I'm just going to list some guys who might be on the bubble for making the roster and not put anything about the chances of landing the job because as roster cuts happen things may change throughout the spring. 3B: Murray Healey, INF: Kilipaki 'Don't touch my drums!' Iugini, UTIL: Damodaragoun Neela, OF: Mike 'Tired' Cox, INF: Jules Le Gal, and UTIL: Danny Castillo are the players that will be battling for the spot. Murray Healey was signed as a free agent to play 3B, but when he and Manny 'Baby Driver' Collazo both signed on the 2nd free agent sim it didn't give me the oppurtunity to pull the offer. Healey is a good OBP generator, but only plays a little 1B to go along with 3B. We're going to work with him to try to teach him 2B which would improve his chances of making the roster. Kilipaki Iugini is a guy I've been looking to find a spot on the roster for awhile. The down side with him is he doesn't hit enough to make up for his average defense. Damodaragoun Neela and Danny Castillo are both super utility guys who can play all over the field. The signing of Neela will probably mean Castillo spends 2055 in AAA to finish learning a few positions. I'm excited to see what Neela can do for us. Mike Cox has been around for parts of 3 seasons and I still don't know what I have with him. He had a solid first full season a bad second full season so it's hard to tell. I expect him to start at AAA this year. Finally that leads me to Jules Le Gal who was on the championship roster last year. He's in an interesting spot as I expected him to be the backup 1B/DH vs RHP and the starter at one of those positions vs LHP, but with Healey signing it clogs up the opening day roster a bit.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Re: Charm City 2055.1 - Spring Battles

Post by DaveB » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:31 pm

For those keeping track at home. Davidson is the #5 SP to open the year. We decided to not carry an extra reliever for now. Neela and Le Gal made the opening day roster.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Charm City Jimmies”