Edmonton Gladly Rings That Bell (Hoppy Endings, Preseason Sim) [PP:2057.03]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Edmonton Gladly Rings That Bell (Hoppy Endings, Preseason Sim) [PP:2057.03]

Post by neugey » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm

This week GM Mike Bauer and 2B/infielder Scott Bell were excited to agree to a contract extension that will keep the productive and reliable 35-year-old in Edmonton until he’s at least age 40. Bell is making 9.5m this year and had a player option for 8.8m next year. But with this new deal locked in, that player option was turned into a guaranteed year and he’ll be playing in Edmonton for additional 3-4 years (4th year is a player option) at 29.6m total.

“As we move further into the later 2050’s, were seeing the general infield talent in the BBA dip a little,” said Bauer. “Bell has been such a warrior for us and it was a no-brainer to extend him. We’re happy to have him back at a rate that makes sense for everyone.”

BBA expert Lem Piker Sr was also asked for his analysis of the contract extension.

“It’s a pretty good deal,” remarked Piker. “Bell hasn’t shown much sign of slowing down. Last year he hit a career high 13 triples. In 2055 he elevated his base-running and stole 28 bases and was only caught 5 times. The team is comfortable with him leading off or hitting at other various spots in the lineup. And in contrast to other members of the Jackrabbits infield like Damek Korbel and Billy McKay, Bell is virtually injury-proof. And we don’t know if Korbel will be around next year due to his player option, so it probably made sense to lock up Bell and prevent a potential massive changeover of their infield.”

“He’s a pretty good second baseman and great defensively at third when he moves there. That flexibility is also valuable, and if his range decreases then he can make more starts at the hot corner. There’s a lot to like here and I bet some teams are bummed to see that Bell won’t be a part of next year’s free agent market.”

Bell will begin his 16th year of major league play. After being initially drafted by Brooklyn in the 2nd round back in 2039, he was traded to Calgary where he started for 8 seasons. In a surprise mid-career twist, he then played for 3 different GBC teams in 3 seasons. Then in 2053 Bell became a major target of Bauer and Edmonton and for the most part that decision has paid off. In 2055 Bell made the All-Star team and compiled a 4.3 WAR.

Bell himself seems excited about the extension and is ready to get back to work.

“Mr. Bauer, the coaches and I are on a great wavelength. I’m glad to fit in here where needed in the lineup. I hope we can get back to winning and I do think there are some solid young players that can help us get there. Can’t wait for 2057.”

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Edmonton Gladly Rings That Bell (Hoppy Endings, Preseason Sim) [PP:2057.03]

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:08 am

Keep signing those second baseman until they stick!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”