Fresh Fur: Edmonton Trades for SP Fields (Hoppy Endings, pre Sim 21) [PP:2055.19]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fresh Fur: Edmonton Trades for SP Fields (Hoppy Endings, pre Sim 21) [PP:2055.19]

Post by neugey » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:04 am

Edmonton has a grand plan. The Jackrabbits are apt to promoting and acquiring players to help mix in a nature-themed roster. Forrest (2 of them). Badger. Moss. Woods. Now “Fields” joins the ranks.

In exchange for SP Curt Fields, Edmonton sent two non-nature themed players to Twin Cities in AA SP Tony Tighe and R CF Makanaokeakua Attunga. And with that, Edmonton staffers are relieved that they will never have to type Attunga’s first name again despite the nice work the rookie CF/utility man has been doing in rookie ball.

According to reports, Fields had been on the River Monsters’ trade block for a little while. So what made Edmonton pull the trigger?

“In Fields, you have a pitcher who had a catastrophic injury,” said Bauer, referring to the UCL tear that sidelined Fields for over 20 months in 2053-2054. “We were surprised to see him come back from an injury that might be a death sentence for most pitchers. And he’s still throwing over 100mph. The kid has got guts.”

Edmonton was also reported to be intrigued by Fields contract. The 31-year-old is making $1.5 million this year and has team options of $1.3 million the next two years. That might allow the team to easily move on if things go sideways.

“We’re not sure if Fields will contribute as a starter or a reliever for us. But we think he’ll be a good arm for us, and possibly he still has some upside remaining the further removed he is from the big injury. We realize his pitching stats haven’t been good at all lately. But this was a case where my scouts convinced me to trust the talent. It’s a similar situation to another player we acquired in (reliever) Jan Chmelyk – buy low on a player with some injury history that can still fling it hard. I guess we have a type.”

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”