Jackrabbits Finally Extend Manager (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 24) [PP:2054.28]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Jackrabbits Finally Extend Manager (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 24) [PP:2054.28]

Post by neugey » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:59 pm

After a series of negotiations that were months in the making, the Jackrabbits finally agreed to terms with manager Alonso Chavez on a 5-year extension that will pay the skipper $1.08m over the following 5 seasons.

Owner Jim Leonard, GM Mike Bauer and Chavez celebrated the signing with a combination dinner/press conference at Vons Steak House in central Edmonton. After a satisfying meal and beverage for all invited, the trio of Jackrabbits grabbed the microphone to speak about the signing.

“We’re excited to have Alonso on board for the next five years,” proclaimed Leonard. “The Jackrabbits are on the right path and we’re keeping up with the rest of the pack in the Johnson League. And so much of that is due to this fine manager sitting next to me. From game one, the team has taken on a different tone with Alonso leading the way. We started out hot and have managed to maintain enough winning to put ourselves in a good position. We’ll continue to expect great things with Alonso in the dugout.”

“To be frank, this was a difficult negotiation,” admitted Bauer. “Our organization was looking for a one to two year extension, but Alonso was firm on the getting the BBA-maximum five years at his salary. The problems with previous Edmonton managers, particularly the scary situation involving Jose Sanchez, left me very hesitant to extend that kind of an offer, especially to a first-year major league manager. But as the year has worn on, we are beginning to see Chavez is the right guy and can’t afford to lose him and the momentum the organization has going. As a whole, we are starting to value staff continuity more. Barring any unexpected retirements, all our major and minor league staff will remain on board through 2055, at least.”

“But back to Alonso. He’s done an excellent job managing our pitching staff. He has a knack for getting the most out of older veteran players, most notably DH Gonzalo Martinez who has had a career year in 2054 and SP Aki Kondo who is defying Father Time as the oldest starter in the BBA. Locking in Alonso means that we will remain firm in our current approach: to give our younger talent plenty of time to develop with an experienced veteran core in the majors. We’re not afraid to be the oldest team in the league. We wear it as a badge of honor.”

And finally, the man of the evening Chavez took the microphone to say a few words. “I want to thank my friends Mr. Leonard and Mr. Bauer for giving me this great opportunity. I love Edmonton and chose to remain stubborn on a 5-year deal. My wife and I envision our children going all the way through high school while I continue my career with our amazing Jackrabbits players and fans.”

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”