Blind Loyalty (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 19) [PP:2054.26]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Blind Loyalty (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 19) [PP:2054.26]

Post by neugey » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Edmonton manager Alonso Chavez has done well in his first season as the Jackrabbits skipper. As of this writing, the rookie BBA manager has a winning record and the team is only a half game out of the Johnson wildcard. Thus GM Mike Bauer has been interested in going forward with Chavez beyond 2054 and signing the current 1-year manager to an extension before losing him at seasons' end. And that's where things have gotten ... weird.

Chavez has taken a great liking to the community and players of Edmonton. He has such a sense of newfound security he has become adamant about not changing anything in his life. Like, literally anything.

On July 16, Bauer asked Chavez what he would like as far as a contract extension. The manager replied, "something like 5 years at $1 million per year."

Bauer replied, "we like you Alonso but we normally don't do 5-year commitments to our staff. We like to keep it in 1-3 year range. What do you think about $1.1 million for 2 years?"

Chavez responded, "let me talk to my family and get back to you tonight."

Bauer that night then received a most puzzling email from Chavez.
email1.jpg
Undaunted by the odd response and rejection, the next Bauer sat down with his manager. "Look sorry, maybe I came in a little low. We're really happy with the job you are doing. What if I increase the offer to $1.4 million for 2 years."

Chavez replied, "Gotta talk to my agent, sir. Let you know tonight."

But history repeated itself, and Bauer was rebuffed again.
email2.jpg
Bauer slouched in his chair in disbelief. "What in the world is up with this guy?" It then dawned upon him that perhaps the manager was, in a passive-aggressive way, trying to tell management he was really serious about a five-year commitment. Okay, that makes sense.

So then came July 30 and the next meeting between Bauer and Chavez.

"Look Alonso, I get that you are really serious about the 5 years," conveyed Bauer. "We usually don't do those for personnel, but tell you what I'm going to accommodate you. But you're going to have make a concession for us. Would you accept $700k for the next 5 years?"

"Let me get back to you tonight," Alonso again replied. Bauer could only roll his eyes.

And sure enough that night, like clockwork, a reply spurning the offer came via email.
email3.jpg
A cry came out from the Jackrabbits office, with Bauer proclaiming "They always say never negotiate with terrorists. I don't know, man. I think that might be easier than this!"

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Blind Loyalty (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 19) [PP:2054.26]

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:29 pm

baseball-crawl.gif
baseball-crawl.gif (1.33 MiB) Viewed 182 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: Blind Loyalty (Hoppy Endings, pre-sim 19) [PP:2054.26]

Post by Trebro » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:10 pm

What a weird bug. Or a weird guy. Or maybe both.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”