Jackrabbits Leap For Borges (Hoppy Endings, post sim 10) [PP:2054.20]

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

neugey
BBA GM

Jackrabbits Leap For Borges (Hoppy Endings, post sim 10) [PP:2054.20]

Post by neugey » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:09 pm

With the Edmonton offense crashing harder than cryptocurrency, GM Mike Bauer decided a big move was in order. The Jackrabbits are taking a gamble that 2051 Puckett winner Tomas Borges can find at least a portion of his form from that magical season.

Today Edmonton executed a trade with Calgary, giving up a few mid-level prospects in order to acquire Borges. Borges reportedly will earn a lot of starts at his usual second base, with incumbent second baseman Scott Bell sliding over to the hot corner. Struggling 3B Manny Collazo becomes the odd man out, unless he can earn more at bats at first base, where Dylan Malloch has been having difficulties of his own lately, both offensively and defensively.

GM Mike Bauer shared his thoughts on the trade and what drove Edmonton to promptly acquire Borges. "No one has forgotten that shocking 2051 season by Tomas where he crushed 53 homers and 150 RBI for Yellow Springs. Most people think it was a fluke. But we're not too sure of that, and we're going to give Borges the path to make a comeback. Given our own offensive struggles lately, this was a gamble worth taking."

Borges' production in limited playing time in 2054 may be giving a bit of credence to Bauer's optimism. So far this year he's hit 5 home runs in only 38 plate appearances. That includes the big game a few days ago where Borges hit two homers and 4 RBI in an impressive road start versus Las Vegas.

The pitching has held up its end of the bargain, so in 2054 Edmonton's chances of staying near .500 or possibly even contending for a playoff spot likely rests on the offense. Either Borges or Collazo need to get hot. The maturation of RF Matthew Woods is also a big concern. The rookie lefty is in a big slump right now, and the team is trying to ride it out rather than send him down to AAA and hurt his morale further.

On paper, DH Gonzalo Martinez, Woods and Borges give Edmonton a formidable power trio in the middle of the lineup. Yet relying on the longball, especially in a home stadium that is rather pitcher-friendly, may not be the best way to save a season. But it could be Edmonton's only option.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

RT60
BBA GM

Re: Jackrabbits Leap For Borges (Hoppy Endings, post sim 10) [PP:2054.20]

Post by RT60 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:32 pm

Maybe lightning will strike twice

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:46 am

Man that season was crazy, 6.7 WAR outpaces the remainder of his career so far. I'll be watching this experiment for sure!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm

So many GMs have tried this guy. He was really productive his first two seasons and really throughout his career but his playing time was limited. Players with high ratings but poor performance are my single biggest annoyance with OOTP. Not that it isn't realistic, it's just not how my Madden-trained brain works.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:30 am

BaseClogger wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm
So many GMs have tried this guy. He was really productive his first two seasons and really throughout his career but his playing time was limited. Players with high ratings but poor performance are my single biggest annoyance with OOTP. Not that it isn't realistic, it's just not how my Madden-trained brain works.
I can appreciate that. Although I am the opposite, I love digging into stats and trying to leverage opportunities for players even if their ratings state otherwise. Leveraging batting order stats, night/day stats, etc.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:38 pm

trmmilwwi wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:30 am
BaseClogger wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm
I can appreciate that. Although I am the opposite, I love digging into stats and trying to leverage opportunities for players even if their ratings state otherwise. Leveraging batting order stats, night/day stats, etc.
I'm becoming a big fan of reviewing how players fare in the batting order.

And I have no idea why, but ratings in the BBA don't seem to translate to performance. it's the biggest mystery for me and i haven't solved it yet.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”