Fan Disappearance (Hoppy Endings, post sim 8) [PP:2054.17]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fan Disappearance (Hoppy Endings, post sim 8) [PP:2054.17]

Post by neugey » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:23 am

Following a Tuesday night 4-1 win at home over San Antonio, the Jackrabbits were all smiles in the clubhouse. It was a very successful second start by newly elevated SP Antonio Cruz, who gave Edmonton 7.2 innings of 1-run baseball for a good team win with young slugger Matthew Woods hitting another homer and now on a nice power surge.

But in the Jackrabbits office later that night, a very different mood was present. Sitting at his desk at midnight in the dark in front of a lit monitor, GM Mike Bauer sat aghast at his desk, his head in his hands for what seemed like an incalculable amount of time.

1B Coach Robbie De Cock came in to retrieve a few things he forgot in the building and noticed the distraught GM. He then placed a hand on Bauer's shoulder.

De Cock queried, "What's wrong, boss? Can I help?"

Bauer replied, "Probably not." Then after a big exhale, the normally stoic GM then let down his guard to the longtime Edmonton assistant to explain his plight. "Robbie, I just don't get it. I know we got the win tonight, but I bet you noticed the spotty attendance at tonight's game. Suddenly over this last week, the attendance and fan interest has taken a huge turn downward."

Bauer continued, "I've been sitting here looking for a cause, looking for solutions. I can't find anything. Sure we've been losing more games lately and no longer in first place in the Frontier. But we're still well above .500. I'm not sure what is going on with our fan support. I mean, they can't expect us to win 110 games in this league and lead the division wire to wire. That's just not realistic in the competitive BBA."

De Cock remarked, "Maybe it's the Oilers? NHL playoffs are in full swing and Edmonton's playing good hockey."

"Nah, you're thinking like it's still the early 2000's. BBA baseball became Canada's favorite sport and hockey is now an afterthought. It has to be something else. Look at these numbers Robbie. Our attendance fell off by over 10,000 fans a game, without any explanation. Same ticket prices, no personnel moves that should have angered fans. Our fan interest has dropped fairly lower than what it was before we acquired Shiplack. And yeah, some of that buzz wears off after making a big acquisition like that, I guess. But this fast?!"

"I don't know boss," admitted De Cock. "The guys in the dugout notice it too. Not fun seeing those empty seats when you're up to bat. The other coaches and I are making sure the players tune that out and play hard, but yeah it's weird. I think more people attended the Eddie Bunny concert."

"What do we do, Robbie? The lost attendance is going to crush our revenue. We can't survive more budget freezes or cuts," lamented Bauer. "And later this week (owner) Mr. Leonard is going to demand answers that I don't have."

Bauer went on, "Robbie, maybe think we need to seek some advice from outside the organization. I'm just not making the connection here. I think tomorrow, I'll get the numbers of some other BBA GM's to see what they know. Maybe Frick GM's since we don't really compete against them."

De Cock replied, "Good idea boss, that might help. For now, no sense in watching you spin your wheels over this. Let's go get a few cold ones before the bars close."

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Fan Disappearance (Hoppy Endings, post sim 8) [PP:2054.17]

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:30 am

Ummm... the Outlaws were in town?!

Fun read!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:48 am

Good thing Robbie De Cock's parents didn't name him Dick.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:53 pm

Are you sure De Cock put his hand on your shoulder?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”