Fresh Fur, Part 8: Jim Conley (Hoppy Endings, post sim 6) [PP:2054.15]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fresh Fur, Part 8: Jim Conley (Hoppy Endings, post sim 6) [PP:2054.15]

Post by neugey » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:53 pm

28-year old pitcher Tim Conley has bounced around a little, but may have finally found a home in the Canadian forest among the Edmonton Jackrabbits. Waived by Charlotte in mid-April, the righty was added to Edmonton bullpen and has been mystifying BBA hitters ever since. In 14.1 innings, he's recorded 2 wins and 4 saves along with a microscopic 0.42 ERA and 0.94 WHIP. According to reports, this excellent performance has now established his spot as the team's primary closer and has brought an end to the committee approach.

"Conley has been superb," said GM Mike Bauer. "He has the skills to be a starter, but when talking to him he really feels most comfortable in the bullpen. Our philosophy is to try to observe the player's wishes for their role on the team, and that's certainly worked so far with Jim."

Things were not always this precise and productive for Conley. He was drafted in 2045 in the 13th round by Charlotte, but failed to make the cut in the lower minors. He then signed as a minor league free agent with Charm City and put up unimpressive stats, until 2050 and 2051 in AAA when he seemed to have turned the corner. In early 2052, Edmonton managed to obtain Conley when the Jimmies put him on waivers and gave him a chance at the rotation. But he was roughed up in two starts and then waived and claimed by Charlotte. For a while Charlotte also tried Conley in the rotation, but then moved him to the bullpen where he performed better in 2053 (3.67 ERA and 1.39 WHIP). But last month Conley became the odd man out with the Cougars and was waived. The Jackrabbits noticed him and decided him to bring him on board as a reliever this time around, and so far the decision has really paid off.

"I want to work in the bullpen and love to have the ball in my hands with the game on the line," said Conley. "I like throwing hard and facing those pressure situations. My idol is former Jackrabbits reliever Jorge Huerta, whose number 16 is retired here. I'd like to be a bit of a super-reliever like him. But I do know we have some other good hurlers in the bullpen too and we do work well together."

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”