Fresh Fur, Part 6: I'm Shipping Up to Edmonton (Hoppy Endings, post sim 2) [PP:2054.11]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fresh Fur, Part 6: I'm Shipping Up to Edmonton (Hoppy Endings, post sim 2) [PP:2054.11]

Post by neugey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:16 pm

Just about the time the rest of the world figured that Edmonton was done with free agency, Mike Bauer and the brass pulled out a big surprise, landing star catcher Ron Shiplack for 2 years at $13.7 million. The second year is a player option and Shiplack has the right to veto any potential trade.

The big signing comes at a key time for the Jackrabbits. The team is off to a surprising 10-4 start in sole first place of the Frontier division and the team starts a 12-game stretch playing at home. The fan interest is pumped due to the recent success and the signing of a proven, 6-time all-star. If Edmonton can keep playing well, the revenue could be looking much better than anticipated this April.

GM Bauer and Shiplack hosted a short introductory press conference on the off-day this Wednesday afternoon, and both parties are ecstatic about their new union.

"We obviously had tabs on Shiplack for a while, but had no assurances we would land him," said Bauer. "He really was the 'Best Player Available' in free agency at this point, and financially his agent got within what we were willing to spend in recent days. The hot start to the season gave Ron a little more confidence in signing with us too, I think. We're pitching pretty well right now, and Shippy's defensive prowess will only add to that. Between him and Parker Davenport, we've got one of the best catcher duos in the league. Shippy will see the bulk of the starts, but we might occasionally slot him at 1B or DH to keep him rested while getting Parker some action too."

When asked if he thought Edmonton could maintain its hot start, Bauer spoke confidently but cautiously. "The month of April can be somewhat of a fun house mirror. Lots of wild results throughout the league right now. You know that teams like Las Vegas and Mexico City will be heard from soon. Playing in an 8-team division is a constant battle. But we'd certainly like to keep playing well and see what comes of it. If we get a few weeks into May and we're still pretty high up in the standings, that could be a sign that this season will be a fine one in Edmonton."

Shiplack then spoke for a bit for his decision to sign with Edmonton. "Like Mr. Bauer said, it was great timing. This is a fun clubhouse and environment. I'm so happy to be finally playing baseball in my home country of Canada for the very first time. It's been hard to watch the rest of the BBA start the season while I'm sitting on my couch. That will all change tomorrow. I'll be ready."

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Fresh Fur, Part 6: I'm Shipping Up to Edmonton (Hoppy Endings, post sim 2) [PP:2054.11]

Post by trmmilwwi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:48 am

Love seeing Edmonton sitting out there in first place!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”