This Relocation is a Dedication (Hoppy Endings, pre Opening Day sim) [PP:2054.08]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

This Relocation is a Dedication (Hoppy Endings, pre Opening Day sim) [PP:2054.08]

Post by neugey » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:09 pm

Note to readers: For this article, I've decided to drop the fictional subtext and write on a more serious real-life event. I've been thinking for a while about whether to post this or not, and if creating a minor league team called the Inferno felt right. This will be far different than your average team news, but it does feel like something something I want to put out there.

TLDR: This one is a real-life account, not a fictional write-up.

===========================================================================

It's been almost a year since my daughter and I received some really difficult news. A friend of hers Randi, who she played softball with through most of her youth, was taken from our community far, far too soon at age 20. She is gone at way too young, and even more tragically she left a young son behind.

It was the circumstances of her death that came as the most shocking thing. She was murdered - strangled - in a Sioux Falls residence by a former boyfriend. She had a restraining order on this menace, which from what I've heard was not respected in the weeks leading up to this crime. I suppose I could go into a rant about some of the circumstances surrounding the case ... the long time it took for prosecutors to fully charge the perpetrator, the feckless nature of a restraining order ... but I'd rather just remember Randi.
randy_edv.jpg
I really only knew Randi from watching my daughter play softball. Randi started out in the outfield as an undersized bundle of energy that loved chasing balls just to let loose. As she grew older, she was asked to try catcher (like all softball/baseball players are eventually asked) and that then became her role on the team. She loved having the ball in her hands, relishing the opportunity to pick off and chase back baserunners. My daughter became a pitcher, and for a good share of the games I watched her pitch it was Randi catching her games.

I really feel for Randi's parents who I didn't really know but were a constant presence at the softball games. They are kind, dedicated people who didn't deserve this tragedy. As insignificant as it is, I decided to do a minor league relocation as a shrine for Randi in BBA-land. The team is named Inferno after the last softball team that Randi and my daughter played in together and they're down in Tucson to match the name. In my mind's eye, there is an awesome bronze statue of Randi right inside the gate, and an added importance for the players down in AAA to earn a Rupert Horn championship.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

RT60
BBA GM

Re: This Relocation is a Dedication (Hoppy Endings, pre Opening Day sim) [PP:2054.08]

Post by RT60 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:21 pm

A wonderful tribute to her. Thank you for doing this and for sharing.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: This Relocation is a Dedication (Hoppy Endings, pre Opening Day sim) [PP:2054.08]

Post by Dington » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:29 pm

Very cool tribute
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:45 am

Great job on this man. A fitting tribute.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:15 am

Thanks for this writeup, puts things in perspective for sure.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:45 am

Very nice! My daughter's softball team was named Inferno as well. I couldnt imagine this happening to anyone on her team. Sorry to hear about this.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”