Fresh Fur, Part 5: More Alonso than Alonso (Hoppy Endings, pre ST sim 2) [PP:2054.07]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fresh Fur, Part 5: More Alonso than Alonso (Hoppy Endings, pre ST sim 2) [PP:2054.07]

Post by neugey » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:34 pm

It took a significant stretch of time in the offseason, but Edmonton finally hired a manager to lead their team. The Jackrabbits tabbed recent Hawaii bench coach Alonso Chavez to take the helm for the team in 2054. Edmonton agreed to a 1-year contract with Alonso, continuing a trend of being cautious with the managerial spot in the wake of the near murder of their GM by estranged manager Jose Sanchez.

But once the thorough background check on Chavez cleared, Edmonton GM Mike Bauer praised Chavez for his adaptability and pedigree. "Chavez climbed the ranks for the Tropics and did a great job for them. He had a lot of experience managing in AAA prior to his bench coach position. He sees eye to eye with the rest of our staff members and the vibe in the clubhouse is great."

Or maybe not so much. Chavez gets along great with the staff, sure, but the majority of Jackrabbits players clearly have their reservations about Chavez:
alonso_cantgetalong.jpg
In addition to this, even the most pedestrian of free agents are reported to have their misgivings about the prospect of playing under Chavez. Maybe it will just take some time for him to earn the trust around the league.

Regardless of the opinions about him in league circles, Chavez is confident in his ability to get the job done and collect enough wins to warrant an eventual extension. "I owe a great debt to the Tropics' organization," said Chavez. "In 2045 they entrusted me with the management position at AAA and were very patient with me while I learned the ropes and got the team above .500. And then came my two years as a bench coach in the majors. What an incredible experience. Hawaii manager Alonso Alonso was an incredible mentor to me. I didn't realize what it truly took to be an Alonso until he came into my life. I know I'll never be as Alonso as Alonso Alonso, but someday I hope to come close."

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”