Fresh Fur, Part 4: The Basher (Hoppy Endings, FA sim 4) [PP:2052.06]

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

neugey
Ex-GM

Fresh Fur, Part 4: The Basher (Hoppy Endings, FA sim 4) [PP:2052.06]

Post by neugey » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:06 pm

The Jackrabbits shocked fans and critics by signing one of the oldest players in the league, pitcher Hao "Basher" Kun, to a four year contract. Kun recently turned 39, and was happy a to sign a contract with a team he'll still likely be pitching for when he's over 40.

"It wasn't about the money," said Kun, who signed a modest contract that will only pay him $4.4 million over 4 years. "It was about the love of the
BBA and it's fans. I'm glad to be back in the BBA after being demoted to the minors last season. I think Edmonton will be back on track this season. I've still got a rubber arm. I'm used to being counted out. Bring it on. Let's surprise some people."

Kun may have been referring to his own underdog history in the BBA. As an international discovery from China, he was a longshot to make the majors in the BBA and succeed. But he took advantage of every opportunity presented to him, and climbed the ranks of a crowded Las Vegas farm system to make the major league squad. He then earned the trust of management to become a major workhorse for the Hustlers rotation. In 2037, he led the league with 246 innings pitched and won 17 games. He continued to earn the admiration of Hustlers and BBA fans alike.

"Kun was a blue-collar guy the fans could relate to," explained BBA expert Lem Piker Sr. "He was a very productive player and a big part of the Hustlers' rise to prominence. But he seemed to fall a bit short of the credit and accolades that went to others. That endeared him to the common working man. Also, it's a bit of the Yao Ming effect. He is so popular in China and they market him heavily, so that it tends to circulate into America and then it perpetuates to where he's a household name."

But the story of hard knocks continued for Kun in 2040. He was traded by the Hustlers mid-season to the California Crusaders, and had to watch from home as his former Las Vegas teammates celebrated their first ever BBA championship. He got his ring for contributing to that season, but it was a bittersweet experience for "The Basher".

A few years later, he was traded again to Nashville, where he played 3 1/2 seasons. He then became a free agent for the first time and selected the Twin Cities. Even well into his 30's, he started more than 30 games for four seasons in a row with the River Monsters. His longevity and discipline continued to attach him to the die-hard BBA fans all around the world and his native China.

"Basher has a special relationship with the BBA," commented GM Mike Bauer. "He's never been an All-Star, and yet he's more highly regarded than some of the guys that make the All-Star event every year. He works hard and still has solid movement and command. Kun is a trustworthy guy and is willing to help our pitching staff with whatever is needed - long or short reliever, back end of the rotation, spot starter - anything really. We hope he will retire a Jackrabbit."

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Fresh Fur, Part 4: The Basher (Hoppy Endings, FA sim 4) [PP:2052.06]

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:04 pm

images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 180 times

'Basher' at a signing event.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Fresh Fur, Part 4: The Basher (Hoppy Endings, FA sim 4) [PP:2052.06]

Post by Dington » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:36 am

Can’t believe he’s still around. He was a vet when I took over Nashville.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”