Deadman Talking 47.5: GM Lets the Team's Core Walk!

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Deadman Talking 47.5: GM Lets the Team's Core Walk!

Post by tylertoo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:43 pm

Editor's Note: "Deadman Talking" features the unexpurgated views of former Jackrabbit Les Deadman. You'll hear from Les every couple of weeks in this space!

Edmonton - November 9, 2047: Sources close to the front office confirm the truth that we had all feared: the bungler-in-chief of the Jackrabbits, GM Mike Dunn, has screwed up contract extension talks with three core players so badly that all three are adamant about becoming free agents!

Soon to walk are:
1B Carlomaria 'Short Circuit' Donadoni
2B Pepe 'Bloviater' Espinosa
3B Steven 'Scooter' Collins III

Those three players were the core of the offense during the Jackrabbit's championship in 2045, when they combined for an eye-popping 12.8 WAR in the club's 101 win season. Now, just two years later, the triumphant trio is still producing, as they combined for a WAR of 9.0 and led the club to 90 wins and a wildcard berth.

So what the Frick is going on? What the hell is GM Dumb, I mean Dunn, doing?

Now, I'm not exactly the journalistic type, so let the scribes go chase after the GM and gather his namby-pamby pro forma pabulum answers. He'll probably talk about how Edmonton is still a small market and we can't saddle ourselves with big multi-year 8-figure contracts, how the bigger markets will also be able to lure away the stars, how the owner just cut his budget despite making the playoffs, blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah.

But this is what I want to know, the question no one seems to be asking. I'll say this loud and clear:
Why didn't he deal these guys before the trade deadline and get some prospects in return???

As it stands now, all the team will recoup from our heroes leaving town is one single Type A compensatory pick in the draft (for Donadoni) and a single Type B pick (for Collins) and bumpkus for Espinosa. Word is he got multiple trade offers for them all and turned them down.

Now I know what Dunn supporters (there are, I believe, 3 of them) are saying: those offers were lowball, jokes--and the comp picks are worth more. I say bullfeathers! I do not have any faith in this GM's ability to use those picks wisely, and I wish he would have done some deals. Yes, I know we might not have made the playoffs, but what good does that do us now?

Anyway, I'm done venting. My heart is broken. My three favorite Jackrabbits will be leaving town. The championship core will be gone. Years of rebuilding, and lots more blah blah blah, lie ahead.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Deadman Talking 47.5: GM Lets the Team's Core Walk!

Post by Dington » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:52 pm

tylertoo wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:43 pm
Now I know what Dunn supporters (there are, I believe, 3 of them)
Better check in with your wife, mother, and the crazy guy in the looney bin to make sure they're still supporters.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”