Deadman Talking 47.4: Playoffs, Baby! Ready to Rock Rockville!

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Deadman Talking 47.4: Playoffs, Baby! Ready to Rock Rockville!

Post by tylertoo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 pm

Editor's Note: "Deadman Talking" features the unexpurgated views of former Jackrabbit Les Deadman. You'll hear from Les every couple of weeks in this space!

Edmonton - October 3, 2047: Now, listen here. I'm not condoning all the violence and mayhem that was done in downtown Edmonton couple nights ago when the Jackrabbits clinched the wildcard. Sure, a few fans got outta control and smashed some store windows. But let's not let that
overshadow what was an amazing September for your beloved baseball squad.

Image A little looting didn't stop fans from showing their love!
In fact, September was truly a tale of two months for the 'rabbits:

Record September 1-9: 2-7
Record September 12-29: 14-3

So it wasn't the whole month, but the final two weeks that saw this team's sudden resurgence. And the excitement of that streak only set the table for October 1, when the team played a doubleheader against the Mexico City Aztecs, who were also vying for that final wildcard spot. Edmonton, as you know by now, swept the double day by scores of 8-4 and 6-5 to lock down a playoff appearance -- one that frankly I would have not thought possible just a few short weeks ago.

That leaves us now with an exciting best-of-five matchup against the Rockville Pikemen. Both teams notched 90 wins this season, but here is one key difference: the season series of the two teams was not close, with the Jackrabbits sporting a 6-2 record over the face-to-face matchups. And take a look at the 'rabbits offensive core against the Pikeman:

That's right, stud 1B Carlomaria Donodani hit over .400 and had 14 RBI against the Pikeman in just eight games. Rockville better take a look at how to neutralize his bat if they plan to advance, that much is clear. Also in Edmonton's favor: home field advantage, which was important during the regular season: both teams had 50 of their 90 wins at home.

Of course you know and I know, none of that means doodlysquat in the postseason. Batters gotta bat, pitchers gotta pitch, and the baseball gods will quickly strike down any team that thinks the regular season matters and gets too cocky.

So on that sobering note, here are the projected pitching match-ups:

Should be ball-bustin' fun! So head on out to tomorrow night to John Ducey Park, grab a brew or two, and settle in for some sure-to-be classic playoff baseball! I'll be there, so stop by, my seats are right behind the dugout on the third base side. Or maybe you'll find me post-game at the Route 99 Diner enjoying some of their famous grits-n-shrimp platter.

This is gonna be fun!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Deadman Talking 47.4: Playoffs, Baby! Ready to Rock Rockville!

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Should be a lot of fun, yeah.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”