Deadman Talking 47.1: Wild Thing, You Make My Heart Sing

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Deadman Talking 47.1: Wild Thing, You Make My Heart Sing

Post by tylertoo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm

Editor's Note: This marks the debut column of former Jackrabbit Les Deadman. This article details how Les came to stay in Edmonton after his ended his middling career as a third baseman, and why he decided to take us up on our offer of writing a regular column. You'll hear from Les, our literal Deadman Talking, every couple of weeks in this space!

Edmonton - September 1, 2047:
Greetings, gentle germs and varnish lickers, your old pal Les Deadman reporting for duty! The folks at the "Rabbit Stew" blog decided they wanted to throw a few Canadian dollars my way to write about my former team, and I said as long as grammar is optional, you got a deal!

Now what I want to talk about in this first piece is what I call a pheeenomenal race for the fourth and final wildcard slot in the Johnson League. That creates the very odd situation in which the Jackrabbits are in fifth place in their division, yet still very much in the hunt for some post-season action. Ain't no one catching them Las Vegas Hustlers, but holy smokes, take a look at this:

That's right, eight -- count 'em -- eight teams battling it out for three of the four wildcard slots, and only two or three games in the win column seperatin' all of them!

Better yet, the trade deadline has come and gone, there's only one month left to the season, and really anything could happen. This is why I love September baseball. It is better than 'smores on top of cherry vanilla ice cream, I tell ya.

And what exactly did the Edmonton GM Mike Dunn do to improve his team before the trade deadline? Let's take a look at all the deals:

Nothing? He had to do, uh, something?

But he's the GM! He's in a heated wildcard battle! Surely he could swing a deal!

Good gawd, that's a slap in the face of all you hard-working, ticket-buyin' fans who show up at the park each night. Your favorite team is still in the hunt for some sweet smell o' post season baseball, and this Dunn guy sits on his fat ass and stares at his paycheck. It ain't right, I tell ya!

Well, anyway, sorry to get all heated up and stuff. I shouldn't start off my new column by criticizing the team. Maybe I'll save that for my next one, har har. Anyway, just remember that I'm not doing this column for my health -- I'm doing it for you, the devoted fans of the Edmonton Jackrabbits. I sure do miss that old GM, Chris what's his name, Robillard or something like that. That guy knew how to win, for sure. He won it all just two years ago! Why'd he leave, anyway?

So I will close my column today before I say something mean and nasty. But I sure do miss Robillard. Maybe I'll start one of those online petitions to see if we can get him to come back...
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Deadman Talking 47.1: Wild Thing, You Make My Heart Sing

Post by Dington » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:12 am

Crazy race. Gonna be fun to watch. It’s always hard to sell the future for someone who MIGHT get you one extra win which MIGHT be enough to get you get that last spot.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Deadman Talking 47.1: Wild Thing, You Make My Heart Sing

Post by tylertoo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 am

Dington wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:12 am
It’s always hard to sell the future for someone who MIGHT get you one extra win which MIGHT be enough to get you get that last spot.
Exactly.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”