The Deadman Cometh: Retired Jackrabbit Les Deadman Set to Debut as Baseball Columnist

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

tylertoo
Ex-GM

The Deadman Cometh: Retired Jackrabbit Les Deadman Set to Debut as Baseball Columnist

Post by tylertoo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:23 am

Edmonton, August 25th -- Les Deadman retired 14 years ago after five straight cup-of-coffee seasons with the Jackrabbits, but he never left Edmonton.

Les will offer a weekly, no-holds barred column
Les, born in London, England, fell in love with the city during his brief stay with the team, from 2029 through 2033. After the team released the light-hitting first baseman at the conclusion of '33, he decided to hang up the cleats settle down in our little town and open a small chain of fitness clubs, with the infamous slogan, "The best man is a Deadman!"

"I knew my days playing ball professionally were over," he remembers. "But I also knew that Edmonton was where I wanted to call home. So I took my savings and opened a small exercise club -- and it took off." The chain now has six locations in the region.

It took off in part because during his career with the Jackrabbits, Les had become a fan favorite. Deadman was a career benchwarmer, playing in only 179 games over those five seasons. He retired with a career .233 average and a total .2 WAR. "I knew I wasn't exactly a lock for the Hall of Fame," he recalls now with a wink.

But fans loved him nonetheless, particularly for his zany clubhouse antics that became the stuff of legend. "One day I told Jordy (third baseman Luke Jordan) that Canadian tax agents were snooping around asking about his tax filings that year. Man, you should have seen the look on his face, practically crapped his pants! The other boys loved it!"
Les in his playing days

"Man, those were the days," Deadman says wistfully.

His famous shock of red hair has long since turned to gray, and he's quite a few pounds heavier, but Deadman remains as sharp-tongued as ever. That's why we're thrilled to announce that Les will be joining the "Rabbit Stew" staff as an occasional columnist, to be titled "Deadman Talking."

"I still have friends with the club, but I'm not going to hold back, particularly with this incompetent front office." (The club is now 69-59, but quickly falling out of contention for the Johnson League's fourth wildcard spot. Despite that, GM Mike Dunn has made only one quick trade and seems content to neither buy nor sell).

Deadman admits that the team's Landis Cup title in '45 rekindled his interest in the franchise. "Watching that parade in downtown Edmonton, seeing the fans cheer like that--I admit, it made me nostalgic for my playing days. So when the Rabbit Stew folks called up a few weeks ago, it was perfect timing."

Watch this space for Deadman's first column, following the trade deadline!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”