46.11 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

46.11 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by crobillard » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fifth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the shortstop position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Pepe Espinosa, Joey Nethersole

Shortstop is really easy nowadays too. Espinosa despite a lot of injury concerns will always be the starter for the Jackrabbits. He has played over 120 games each season, so his injury issues are not debilitating, but it's important to have a good security blanket. Espinosa can definitely hit, but most of his value comes in his defense. A +8.1 ZR at short is pretty outstanding and with only single digit errors for the season, Espinosa is a pretty stalwart force on the left side of the infield. He batted .269/.329/.479 last season which is a testament to how efficient he is when he makes contact on the ball. 37 XBHs and 20 homeruns last season, Espinosa is really solid at the plate while providing that really great defense that the team relies on.

Nethersole is a frequent enough starter in games now that I think it necessitates him as a sure fire lock. Plus, there's really not much competition for him. The Jackrabbits value defense above almost anything else from the shortstop position and Nethersole is the best the team has throughout the organization. You probably want a stronger arm for a SS, but his ability to range out and turn some impossible double plays makes him really valuable. I cannot see a situation where I choose someone over Nethersole despite him not being a consistent starter on the team. He just plugs up the middle of the infield so well for me whenever we have a situation where we don't have everyone playing.

He had a +4.1 ZR in 44 games last season and a .994 fielding percentage. He doesn't start obviously because of his bat. He has 5/7/3/6/6 ratings and that ends with a sub .600 OPS every season. Hate it, but you know what you are getting with Nethersole.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”