46.10 Checking the Locks: Third Base

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

46.10 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fourth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the third base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Steven Collins III
Trying to get in the door: Emilio Medina

The face of the franchise, Steven Collins III, is in his ninth season with the Jackrabbits. I don't think anyone would argue that he's been an incredible boon to the team over their nine year playoffs run too. Missing only 32 games since his rookie season, Collins has been a consistent force at the hot corner every year of the Jackrabbits' successful nine year playoff run. In 2046, they will try to make it a decade and it all starts with Collins. His .316/.369/.480 batting line throughout his career has really helped the team stay competitive.

There's no competition at the third base position, but as Collins turns 30 this season, the team has contingencies in place to replace Collins in case his production drops off more significantly or in case his contract put the team in too tight of a bind. Probably the biggest cause for concern looking back at last season is Collins' doubles were way down from 36 in 2044 to 19 in 2045 without huge changes elsewhere in his productions. With 8 gap power, it doesn't seem he's dropped considerably in the area. No one is sounding the alarm yet, but the Jackrabbits are exploring all possibilities.

That starts with Emilio Medina. With great defense at third base rated at a 9, Medina is a solid player with the high defense, low offense archetype. 5/7/7/6/5 ratings at the plate and 7/10/11 speed, Medina would be a fine bandaid if the team moved on from Collins. I think if Medina had a stronger showing at the plate it would make the team's decision a bit easier, but whenever we move away from Collins it will be really difficult.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”