46.09 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

46.09 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:28 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure lock: Roberto Puente
Trying to get in the door: Semer Hakimi, Juan Carlos Ortiz, Rafael Gonzales

What you're looking at is the result of last year's second base competition. Puente was acquired in the trade that sent Rodrigo Gallegos to Calgary and while Puente wasn't outstanding, he was really solid in his debut season. He had a .297/.341/.367 batting line with 25 XBHs, two homeruns for a 0.9 WAR. Edmonton probably wanted something better than his +0.7 ZR, but he doesn't make a lot of glaring mistakes in the field evidenced by his .993 fielding percentage last season. Still, you probably expect a slightly better showing from a 10 rated second baseman. I have him making the team easily though due to his versatility with a 10 rating at third and an 8 rating at short.

Hakimi, Ortiz, and Gonzales are the remnants from last years competition in the middle of the infield. When I scout anyone in the middle infield versatility is really attractive to me because I know Pepe Espinosa is fragile, so I need to have someone that can cover both spots when I am in a jam. That makes it really hard to call up Hakimi because he can really only play second with his 8 rating despite his bat looking pretty solid with 7/8/5/3/9 ratings. His defense is 8/5/9/9 too, so it's not like I can even put him over there and hope he learns it. That 5 rating cripples him. Good depth though.

I really like Ortiz as a potential callup at some point because of that 10 eye and really solid defense. He's rated 5/6/2/10/8 and he's defense is alright with an 8 at second. I wish he could play short so he would make the decision easier for me, but if someone falls flat on their face, I could see him making an appearance in the majors at 31 years old. I believe it was Gonzales that had the best spring last season, but it just wasn't strong enough to convince me. With 6/6/2/6/6 ratings and a 6 at second, he's below average, but he's something that's just good enough to make me think about keeping him every year. I hope he bumps.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”