46.07 Checking the Locks: Catcher

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

46.07 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:08 am

Woo, my favorite thing to write. Start of the season. Let's goooooo!

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the first of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the catcher position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Rainer Scheffer
Near lock: Toshikazu Noguchi
Trying to get in the door: Juan Colon

Scheffer is back and the doctors finally gave him the all clear after being out most of last season a torn meniscus and strained hamstring that cost him 6-7 months in total. This year he has some competition. Due to Scheffer's consistent injury issues, the Jackrabbits picked up Noguchi as a replacement. His performance was pretty comparable to Scheffer's last season, so naturally rumors have it the team is trying to move away from Scheffer.

In his fifth season for Edmonton, Scheffer has yet to play a complete season and he has only played more than 100 games once. His best season came in 2044 when he hit .296/.343/.448 with a 2.8 WAR. The upside is huge for Scheffer if he doesn't get injured, but he just gets injured far too often to rely upon. That didn't stop the team from extending him before last season.

The blanket comes in the acquisition from Las Vegas that brought in Noguchi. He's been a backup wherever he's been and if he has started it hasn't been very consistent. The soon-to-be 25 year old impressed Edmonton elite last season with his .275/.359/.369 batting line with a 1.1 WAR in only 70 games played. It's not surprising that Edmonton wants to see what he can do in a full season.

Perhaps the idea around the Noguchi acquisition is to let Scheffer free. Acknowledge he will get injured and allow your depth to speak for you. I would certainly prefer some injury free ball though.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”