45.7 Checking the Locks: Center Field

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

45.7 Checking the Locks: Center Field

Post by crobillard » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:24 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the seventh of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the center field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Po-sin Shi
Near lock: Bill Morley
Trying to get in the door: Bob Plummer

Shi was acquired last season in late July. He was falling apart and Sacramento wanted to get rid of his salary while getting something in return in case he bounces back. Edmonton acquired him at a pretty good price, but ended up handicapping themselves financially a bit. That started some decisions in which the team needed to make a few cuts. Shi didn't pop off at the tail end of the season, but he hit .244/.341/.399 with five doubles, two triples and seven homeruns for a 1.5 WAR. For only 56 games, that's not terrible at all. If he ends up continuing that success in Edmonton then we'll be enjoying having Shi in Edmonton. One of the bigger benefits to having Shi was his +5.4 ZR and zero errors in his 54 games in Edmonton. He's definitely had a positive effect. Someone else can argue whether it's more positive effect than Rocky Allen, but I was measuring Shi against Allen's prior time in Edmonton rather than how he was performing that season up to that point.

Probably a more pure centerfielder is Morley. I talked about him a little bit in the left field post, but Morley is probably the best centerfielder I have, rated at an 11. Shi hasn't played left or right, so I haven't move him over there because Shi's doing great in center, but if he fell back at all I would move him over and let him learn in a second. In the meantime, Morley will crush it in the outfield when I need him. I'm not sure if I'll start Morley or if I'll go with someone else. We're definitely working on some deals before opening day, but if none of them work out then Morley will have a chance to start.

Plummer is just here for depth in spring training. He's good defensively, but he's such a bad hitter. No chance of him making it.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”