45.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

45.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:25 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fourth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the third base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Steven Collins III

He has played almost every game at third base for the Jackrabbits over the past eight seasons. Collins is incredibly important to the Jackrabbits organization as demonstrated by the extension they agreed to last season, keeping Collins in Edmonton through the 2047 season guaranteed when essentially what amounts to a mutual option kicks in and both parties decide each year through 2049 if they would like to stay together for almost 15.5 mil each year.

Collins is turning 29 this season which is important because signs are showing some regression in his production. He totaled 4.6 WAR last season which is the second lowest WAR total in his career. It's SC3 though, so I don't think anyone is worrying about him. He's been trailing off in hits a little bit, possibly due to some under the hood changes in OOTP, but otherwise he's been remarkably consistent. The only thing that stands out more than the lower hit total is fewer stolen bases and actually stronger defense than he had five years ago. Is there any doubt that this guy is going to the Hall of Fame at the end of his career? He's 28 years old and during his entire major league career he's never missed a game due to injury. Insane. He's worth every penny.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”