45.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

45.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by crobillard » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the second of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the first base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Carlomaria Donadoni
Near lock: Miguel Deleon
Trying to get in the door: Christophe Claudel

This position hasn't changed much and for good reason. Donadoni is a beast and is quickly becoming one of the best players on the team. Before he could put together a career year, Donadoni was injured last season with a terrible ruptured foot tendon last July that put him out for the remainder of the season including the playoffs. While Edmonton made it all the way to the Cartwright to lose to San Antonio, the offense Donadoni produced was sorely missed. On top of that, the game now lists him as fragile which is likely the worst possible outcome. If he can bounce back and have another great healthy year, that would go a long way in ensuring that Donadoni stays in Edmonton for a long time especially with the end of his arbitration coming up quickly in 2047. You have to think that if the team wants him, they will start negotiating ways to keep him in Edmonton for as long as possible, but that will only happen if Donadoni can prove that he can play healthy again.

What likely doesn't help Donadoni's chances are the rumors that he may move to his natural position at third base, so the team can rotate Collins to second base to fill the hole they have (more coming on that in the next article). Surely, Donadoni's chances of staying healthy are a lot better at first base than at third base. Fans are hoping he will have a great comeback year and show that he is still the same power hitter that put up 7.8 WAR over 2042-2043.

Last year, Deleon saw his first consistent action in the majors in three seasons and he wasn't about to let it slip passed him. He was a feisty, scrappy hitter who made pitchers pay for underestimating him off the bench. He only had 49 plate appearances, but he hit in 15 of them with three double and a triple. He also stole bases in 8 of his 11 tries for a 0.5 WAR. Not bad for a pinch runner.

I haven't typed this name in awhile, but Claudel makes his return in Edmonton this spring training after returning to the organization last year and playing in AAA. He last played in Edmonton in 2038 and that was his last time in the majors. He's always been excellent at drawing walks and hitting the occasional long ball. He's a long shot at making the team, but if the team is inundated by injuries like they were last season, I expect to see the 34 year old Claudel get a call up.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”