44.7 Checking the Locks: Left Field

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

44.7 Checking the Locks: Left Field

Post by crobillard » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:14 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the sixth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the left field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Jose Salas, Wilson Villanuela
Trying to get in the door: Lorenzo Leon

Left field really starts with Jose Salas, who is really just a designated hitter who can play left field when we're in a bind. Salas started his career in Edmonton hitting better than .285/.388/.423 in the two season after his rookie season, hitting a 4.7 WAR mark in 2041 and 3.8 WAR in 2042. Then, the offensive smackdown last season happened and Salas tumbled hard to a .256/.354/.409 batting line for 2.4 WAR. Not a bad player still, but not what he was. The more impressive quality of Salas is despite his normal injury rating, he really hasn't been injured over any extended period of time. 156 games is his lowest mark in the full seasons that he's been on the roster. At 8/8/6/7/9 ratings that only get better against southpaws, you really expect a better return from Salas and I think we'll probably see a bounceback this season to around a .300 batting average. Once that happens, everything else will fall into place.

Villanuela can play all outfield spots and he is rated a 12 in left field. He's lumped in contact this offseason which makes you wonder if he'll still be able to perform the same way the team is used to at the plate. Still, 7/8/3/5/9 against RHPs is not terrible for someone that has such strong fielding ratings. He hit .272/.313/.408 with 27 extra base hits in 360 at bats last season for a 1.8 WAR with a +6.0 ZR in left field. Although, for most of his time in Edmonton he's hovered around a .300 batting average, so after last season's performance I think it's safe to be a little concerned about Villanuela's future on the team.

LHB Leon hasn't been given much of a shot in the majors yet, but with another season of limited LHB appearances in the batter's box, you wonder if this year is when Leon shines. He's rated 6/8/8/5/6 against RHP and has a 6 rating in left field, so he's serviceable there I suppose. If there are some offensive woes, Leon could be tapped on for a possible surge in power, but expecting too much from him would be a mistake. He's not a 2.0 WAR hitter, might not even be a 1.0 hitter if he can't make contact consistently, but he's a nice depth option and he might earn a spot on the bench as a potential pinch hit specialty role.

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 44.7 Checking the Locks: Left Field

Post by crobillard » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:57 pm

lol Leon with three homeruns first game of ST. I guess he wants a spot on the active roster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”