44.5 Checking the Locks: Third Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

44.5 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fourth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the third base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Steven Collins III

Now we have the biggest storyline of this season. Will the biggest product of Edmonton, Steven Collins III, leave Edmonton after this season. It wouldn't be the first time a notable Jackrabbits star has left. Bobby Lynch was traded to Calgary six seasons ago much to the fans' dismay. Would the team actually turn their back on Collins as well? This will be his eighth season with the team. There is a big difference between Lynch and Collins too. Lynch was up and down during his time in Edmonton with some major injuries. Collins has been pretty consistent in his career and has rarely taken any time off.

Is there any doubt this guy will be inducted into the Hall of Fame when his career is over if he continues to hit the way he is? Last season he hit .294/.340/.447 with a 5.1 WAR and that's one of his least productive seasons. It's safe to say that it will take a 20+ mil a year commitment to nail down Collins long term. Last season was also one of his best defensive performances with a +5.0 ZR at third and a .960 defensive percentage. Not fantastic, but not bad either.

Edmonton does have a third baseman waiting to take over if they need it. Carlomaria Donadoni has played many games at third base in the minors and he's probably more suited for the hot corner with such a strong arm. If Collins did leave Edmonton, third base is probably in good hands, but that doesn't mean the team should just let Collins walk. It really depends on what he's asking for. If Collins asks for 30 mil, I don't see Edmonton having any way to sign Collins unless they deal away some significant resources to drop payroll.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”