44.4 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

44.4 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:53 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Hakim Ngowa
Near lock: Joey Nethersole

Second will look a little different this season after the Yi-ke Hsaio departure to Charm City. He was just too expensive for Edmonton at 11 mil this season. I would never pay that. Hsaio is good. With the upcoming financial decisions we have, I just don't think it's a good idea to cuck myself with a contract for Hsaio. Ngowa will be the starter this season. That was supposed to happen last season, but Hsaio performed really well for a 3.3 WAR last season and snagged me a 1st round supplemental pick.

I feel really good about getting Ngowa some starting time. He wont perform as well as Hsaio last season, but we should get an increase in walks and better defense out of Ngowa. Last season he hit .192/.365/.283 in only 126 at bats. If he's anywhere near these numbers this season that would of course be a major disappointment. It'll be interesting whether the team signs a new contract with Ngowa this season. He was signed a middle infield defensive option and he's done his job. If he can hit better than last season, you have to think a contract is in the works since the team doesn't have an option at second base coming up in the minors any time soon.

Nethersole is someone I personally like. He's more of a pure defensive option than Ngowa and superior to him with a 12 rating at second and an 11 rating at short. He has some speed and his intangibles are good contributing as another leader in a clubhouse filled with them. The issue is his plate appearances. They're not good. He was 9 for 51 in at bats last season. Horrible. If he gets many starts, that's a scary thought, but some defensive appearances are probable.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”