43.14 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

43.14 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

Post by crobillard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:29 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the tenth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the bullpen in this post.

Sure fire locks:
Jorge Huerta
Ignacio Castaneda
Jose Torres
Luis Ortega
Ryosei Akiyama
Alexandre Renard

Near lock:
Vicente Ventura
Juan Guerrero

Trying to get in the door:
Hideaki Shibutani
Edgardo Torres
Jorge Limon
Freddy Diaz
Albert Love

This is the most competitive group on the roster for the Jackrabbits. Huerta leads the pack as he has for awhile. If Huerta's pattern holds up, he should have a bad year in 2043. Luckily, we have Ortega coming off injury that can relinquish Huerta's responsibilities. Huerta has had some huge innings totals the last three years at 162, 145.1 and 165. If he can continue to perform, this group is already really tough.

It still feels like Akiyama's first year after a big injury that put him and Ortega out nearly all of last season. They are both strong lefties that should help Edmonton out with their biggest area of struggle last season. Castaneda and Torres round out the remaining sure fire locks. Castaneda has been someone the team can rely on almost any time they put him out there. Really solid in short innings and recovering after disasters. Jose Torres is one of the high strikeout guys we like. He didn't perform super well last season, but he was solid. I'm hoping he can play better in 2043.

Ventura and Guerrero look like they could be bounced if there is a surprise and another pitcher dominates and the team needs to make room. Ventura has been really good for a long time in Edmonton and he had his highest innings total of his career last season and only had a 2.54 ERA. However, he basically lost the Landis for Edmonton last season and I'm upset about it. Guerrero was traded for last season after he was put on waivers and he was a good bandaid at the time. He pitched well in Edmonton's uniform with 37.2 innings and an ERA of 3.82. He was fine, but he could be replaced.

Out of the group trying to get in the door, Love is the best of the bunch and after a 1.42 ERA in 25.1 innings in AAA last season, it wouldn't surprise me if I had to make room for him because he had an amazing spring. All the other guys are just depth pieces and not particularly good ones, so if any of them make the team, we're in trouble.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”