43.8 Checking the Locks: Third Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

43.8 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:30 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fourth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the third base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Steven Collins III
Trying to get in the door: Miguel Deleon

The face of the franchise Steven Collins III. With how much I've talked about him in this series since I came back to the BBA, it's difficult to think his run in Edmonton might be coming to an end. He has two more years left on his contract and the guy has never slowed down. After his rookie season when he was still developing, Collins had WAR numbers of 7.1, 4.3, 6.4, 6.7, and 5.4 last year. He was an all star for four of those years, won the Puckett at 3B for the last two years, he's won a Zimmer for his defense, he's a two time Landis winner and has been the MVP in the Doubleday twice. Is there any doubt this guy would be worth the money? Whenever given the opportunity to move on too soon or too late we do though and I don't imagine it will change with Collins. With that said, I've signed players to long contracts and traded them immediately after before, so don't be shocked if you see that this year or next.

As far as Spring Training goes, Collins is my starter. Don't be ridiculous.

Deleon is a fun player to discuss. I like a lot of things about him, but he hasn't bumped where I need him to in order to compel me give him a permanent bench role. He covers the corners of the infield alright enough and he has really fantastic speed. In AAA last season he was 55 for 68 in stolen base attempts. In 43 at bats in the BBA in 2041 he hit .279/.295/.302. It's not great, but certainly doesn't stand out. It didn't help he was only 19 for 26 in stolen base attempts too. Since his role is so heavily defined in pinch running, I would really prefer for him to be more successful at it.

He could steal a spot this season though. Having him backing up the corners could help with containing my excellent defensive middle infielders contained to where I need them most. We'll see if he can swipe a spot.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”