43.7 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

43.7 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:09 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Hakim Ngowa, Yi-ke Hsaio

All eyes will be on Ngowa and Hsaio this offseason as the team was so confident in the production of these two that they traded away Robert Menzies to Portland so they could acquire some prospect arms. Menzies' move likely moves Pepe Espinosa to SS and Ngowa or Hsaio will take over second base. Ngowa seems like the favorite after a strong 2042 .274/.425/.369 in limited time while Hsaio struggled mightily last season .187/.269/.252. Ngowa has also performed well in big spots in the postseason.

Both of them are pretty solid defensively with Ngowa rated as a 10 at second and Hsaio an 8. Hsaio can also play first base and Ngowa covers shortstop. Something worth consideration as Espinosa was injured for a period last season. We only needed to cover 2B at that time, but this time without Robert Menzies, depth behind SS is a more significant concern.

Hsaio is also a free agent after this season. It would be more advantageous to use Hsaio as much as possible to attempt to get him eligible for a compensation pick at free agency, but luckily for Edmonton, I care way more about winning now than making sure I continue to get additional picks that could return nothing, so the better player this season will play the majority of the games. Both players will get an opportunity to play and I doubt Spring Training is the end of the discussion, but I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Gun to my head, I would think Ngowa should win this battle. The high walk rate replacing Menzies will be nice in addition to the superior defense, but Hsaio has shown in full time work that he can be a really great cog in the wheel. Ngowa hasn't shown that because he's never seen full time work over an extended period.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”