43.6 Checking the Locks: First Base

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

43.6 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by crobillard » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:29 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the second of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the first base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Carlomaria Donadoni

This position is about one guy. First time ever for this series, but he's a doozy. To be clear for depth considerations, there are other players that can play first, but that's not their primary concern. Whereas after juggling the decision whether to play Donadoni at first base or third base at this time last year, a pretty clear decision was made early in the season. Donadoni played all 162 games last season and 123 of them were at first with a +7.1 ZR too, but if you're reading this you don't give a fuck about his defense.

Let's talk about this rookie season. A batting line of .298/.363/.616 with 47 doubles, 48 homeruns, 137 RBIs, 65 walks and a 5.2 WAR is good enough for best player in my heart, but not good enough for BBA's Newcomer of the Year award. He hit cleanup most of last season, but he actually was best with some protection behind him and that's the expected course of action manager Juan Carlos Gonzales plans to take this season.The 22 year old Donadoni was phenomenal last season and Gonzales has never had a hitter quite like him. Now, knowing what he has, the biggest question the BBA has for the most winningest manager in the league's history with three Landis appearances in five years is how he will deploy his power hitting weapon.

Is it possible with Steven Collins III's contract expiring next season that the team could move on from the face of the franchise this season and move Donadoni to third base? We've had a propensity of moving on from players quickly dating back several seasons. Could the same thing happen with Collins or is 26 years old too soon? This will certainly have an effect on Donadoni and the Jackrabbits offense as a whole.

It's worth discussion the Mons Raider trade from last season to Montreal too. Raider is a force and I was lucky to have him for as long as I did, but it didn't make sense to keep him when he wasn't performing well, his injury status is always a concern, with Donadoni at first base it moved Raider to DH and I really wanted that spot for Jose Salas. Raider was the odd man out despite just signing a contract extension. That's not to say I don't expect him to produce in big ways for Montreal though. Raider is an absolute beast of a player and I think he will continue to perform for many years to come.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”